Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Shiny Wheel

Red73BB

Corvette
1969 dark red convert
After looking at Rare81 shiny wheels I tried to duplicate the shine on mine. I used Blue Magic and a buffing wheel, Mothers, and other brands but, they would only get a "dull shine". I went to a car show and different vendors were displaying and promising their products. On one you bought two sticks of compound, three buffing wheels for $30.00 plus alot of time. Anyway.... I bought a product from PCC easy aluminum polish. Using just paper towels and the product, about 30 minutes later IT WORKED :) . I attached a before wheel and a after wheel pix.
Gary

whoa... LQQKING GQQD..

Gary,

That is awesome.. nice job
thumb.gif

BudD
:w

Hooo-Waah!

Yowzah! :eek
Where can I get me some of THAT! PCC Easy Aluminum Polish. Do you have a website, phone number? Anything to contact them! Please?
Silver

ps, how was application? how long did it take to achieve the results? The wheels look MAH-VELOUS!

Phone No.

A & A Body and Paint (573)696-0337 They are located in Hallsville Mo. (I think thats the town were Steve From SSAutovett is from).I paid $10.50. The application was a breeze, Paper towels and some elbow grease
Gary

Better Living Through Modern Chemistry

Ain't it grand:D There's SOOO much stuff out there now for cleaning and detailing it's a polishers dream come true. Nice job on the wheels Gary:upthumbs I don't have any of that al u minium stuff on the 'ol 62, just chrome and stainless;)

WOW that stuff seems to work great. What did you do to get rid of the old clear coat? Sounds like I may have saved $390 by belonging to such a great group.:J

wheels

Gordy, the clear coat was gone when I bought the vette so I don't know, but there has been other post here on clear coat removal. try "search"

Gary

Removing the clearcoat is easy. Go to Lowes or Home Depot and get aircraft paint remover(stripper). Its a heavy duty stripper. Paint in on the wheel with a brush, wait a few minutes and spray with water. Just be sure to use chemical resistant gloves. This stuff burns bad when it gets on your hands. I have done all my wheels with it. Only cost about $5.00 or so.

Regards,

Jim

Without a clear coat over your newly polished aluminum wheel, expect them to "tarnish and dull out" quickly. I did this to a set of AR rims for my Camaro and within a month or two it was back to polishing..... I never did find a good clear coat to DIY over the rims.

KenSny said:
within a month or two it was back to polishing.....

I can live with that. Wheels look great Red i was gonna get around to a post on this topic soon. Since the rain is ruining more and more weekends for cruising now i will have time to shine it up.

Forget about clear coating...just not worth the hassle. The wife touches up our wheels about once a month using WIZARDS polish. Takes about 40 mins and as long as you keep up with the monthy deal, they remain shinny the entire season. Dirty wheels is like wearing a $600.00 suit with tennis shoes. :)

Shinny Wheels

Hey that shinny wheel looks great...so where do the rest of us get this PCC easy alum. polish?:upthumbs

Silver/Char81, I got mine thru A & A Body and Paint (573)696-0337. Plus some elbow grease, paper towels and time :)

Actually the product name is PPC.
Gary

shiney wheel stuff

i ordered some of that easy aluminum polish last week.they are a very friendly outfit to deal with.i can't wait to try it out on my 81's wheels.thanks again for to low down.

Does anyone know if this PPC polish is to be used in place of the Red Jeweler's polish or as a maintenance after all the steps & final clear coat is put back on??

Also, I couldn't find anything on a search that talked about how to get the deeper scratches out, I have at least one on each wheel and one has a little corrosion starting in a crevice. I'm going to start the project today after finding they want $200 plus each to have them done.

I just bought these 2000 polished aluminum used so I could trade the champagne magnesium wheels. They always looked dirty on a yellow vette. They look great on the dark blue or green & seem to match the tan tops that I saw at Bloomington Gold. Any suggestions as to where best to advertise them?

Hugs & thanks to everyone!

Poodle said:
Does anyone know if this PPC polish is to be used in place of the Red Jeweler's polish or as a maintenance after all the steps & final clear coat is put back on??

Also, I couldn't find anything on a search that talked about how to get the deeper scratches out, I have at least one on each wheel and one has a little corrosion starting in a crevice. I'm going to start the project today after finding they want $200 plus each to have them done.

I just bought these 2000 polished aluminum used so I could trade the champagne magnesium wheels. They always looked dirty on a yellow vette. They look great on the dark blue or green & seem to match the tan tops that I saw at Bloomington Gold. Any suggestions as to where best to advertise them?

Hugs & thanks to everyone!
Stockton Wheel Exchange in California quoted me a price of $225/each to CHROME-PLATE a set of N90 aluminum wheels:
at $200/each to remove scratches, chrome-'em-and-forget-'em!
:)

Here's an easy way to make them look like they are chrome. Strip them down with the Aircraft Stripper, polish with a good brand of alum. polish,(Mothers, Flitz etc.)then finish them up with Never Dull. Total cost, less than $20 and your wheels will look great. Just touch them up once a month and they will stay looking great.

Dave

Glensgauges & Shaggyvette: Thanks so much for the ideas. I would definitely chrome rather than spend the same to refinish! I argued that I had heard it was under $100 each to refinish but they were firm. I got the aluminum because I'd always heard chrome pits very fast.

I found them used because I have wanted to go up in size but so far haven't found anyone willing to put them on and risk destroying something, even the vette shop hasn't done it before. So I figured I would at least get the color switched out inexpensively until then.

I will do that and try the PPC. I can always put the clearcoat back on later if it looks like I need it. The weather is not consistent even within one day/hour here so I'm not sure how they will react without it. (Someone said they will turn dark very quickly without the clearcoat.) Now I have to wait for a day that isn't 99% humidity.

Thanks & hugs to both of you!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom