Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Timing an 84 Crossfire

mystang

Okay so I am now putting this engine back together and I match marked the dizzy when i took it out to redo the lower intake gaskets. Well the car has most likely never been timed correctly seeing as how the previous owner did some questionable repairs from what I have seen having gone inside the engine. Anyway the chilton manual that I currently have really sucks for this car as well as it gives you no timing instructions.

I assume a dizzy is the distrubutor, if so then bring No. 1 cylinder to TDC, Top dead center, if you remove the front spark plug on the left bank and watch the piston it should show when it's at TDC on the commpression stroke, and make sure the arrow on the timing gage on the block alines with the TDC mark on the harmonic balancer and slowly slide the distrubutor back into the block and as you do, the rotor tip should slowly turn to point at No.1 terminal on the distributor cap and point towards the no.1 piston in the block and I have to assume you mean you marked the distributor body to the manifold. If this is the case, then the distributor is in OK, put the bolt in and turn in down till it almost touches the dist. flange. start the car and use a timing light for your final adjustment. The timing information label should show you the final adjustment position or degrees.

PS: you shouldn't have to turn the crankshaft too much as I assume the engine was running before the repairs and your most likely on the commression stoke as it is.

Yes car was running, a bit "rough" at idle, but it would run fine. It seemed a bit slow but I have nothing to compare it to except my almost 400 horse mustang ;shrug. It seems to have low end torque, but nothing after that.

Anyway I marked the distributor body to the manifold as well as the rotor to the body. This car is not mine, I am just working on it for someone so I am not sure where this decal you speak of is as I looked on the plastic cowling on the radiator and only saw belt routing and emissions control info. This car was leaking so much oil I could not even see the timing marks on the timing chain cover and not even able to see the mark in the dampener, so I am not sure what it was at before I started in on it.

It doesn't need to be, just clean the harmonic dampener and the timing marks on the timing chain cover and follow as I posted. The Crossfire only had 205 HP, but it had a little better in torque area. I haven't been out in the garage today but I think the sticker on the underside of the hood or somewhere in the engine bay. It all depends on where the car was sold, sea leval up in the mountains or in California. Vacume leaks were achilles heel of the L-83 as the cross-fire had terrible leaks everywhere. Gaskets, hoses and so on.

I looked at the sticker on my 1982. It is on the underside of the hood and should have a vacuum diagram and "catalyst" at the top.

Correct stock timing is 6 degrees before top dead center.
But you have to disable the electronic spark timing by disconnect thing tan wire with black stripe that goes to the distributor. Do not disconnect the 4 wire harness.

If you're asking how to hook up the timing light, you're correct about hooking it to cylinder #1 (front of the car on the driver's side).

The timing gun also needs 12V and a ground. The battery is so far away from the timing tab i have a hard time getting the gun close, so i usually cheat and hook the gun directly to the alternator. Red on Red, Black on Black. DO NOT LET THEM TOUCH!!!

I hope this helps.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom