Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Tire Choice

TJay

Corvette
1972 Yellow Coupe
I'm thinking about new tires for my 1979, and have narrowed it down too 4 brands (now running GoodYear V60 -255X60X15). I really like the newer V-groove design. My question is, which tires do you use, and can anyone suggest if my picks are good or bad.

Here's my choice in order....
Michelin - Pilot Sport
Yokohama - A048 or ES100
GoodYear - Eagle GTll
BF Goodrich - Radial T/A

Here's the Michelin (like the tread design)
sdl6h3.jpg

Here's the Yokohama A048 & ES100

sdl6wx.jpg

sdl742.jpg

And we all know what the Goodyear & Goodrich look like. Thanks for any advice, before I buy a new set.

Hello TJay,

If you want to keep the 15" rims the Michelin and the Yokohama are out of the question (pilot sport starts with 17").
Besides the BF's and Goodyear you can go with a Dunlop GT Qualifier or the Yokohama Avid S/T (for a 255/60R15).

This link was on the L81 forum section from John Ulrich:
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/surveyresults/surveydisplay.jsp?type=PAS

I'm also looking for a v shaped tire. I don't drive in the snow and i don't care it the tire is gone after 20k miles i just want a good cool looking sticky tire with good water handeling. The tiretrack rating is from al sorts of cars and i think they don't give a good overview for the sportive drivers who don't drive in the snow..
If somebody could compare the Dunlop with the Yokohama ST i would be most happy. I think they look the most sportive and not so off road as all the others.
But of course Tjay's question is first :)

Greetings Peter.

Peter, thanks for the reply and the link, great information. My 79 does not have stock rims now, but they are 15". I have no problem switching to say Torque Thruster TTll in 17" or 18" (another $1200.00 here in Canada). I just don't want to make the same mistake with tires like I did with the Goodyear VR-60's (hate them) I'm with you, I want a tire that looks great & handles well. I don't care about wet/snow (never dive my vette's in that weather) or how many miles they last. I only drive each of my cars about 2000K a year (summer). (1200 miles). Maybe someone will answer your Dunlop vs Yokohama STi also, as I would be interested in any and all comments or suggestions.
Tom

255-R60-15 BFG Radial TA's on stock ralley wheels.
Chas

Nobody else has a opinion or advice beside's the dominating BF or Goodyear tires?

Greetings Peter.

I agree with Chas. I've got the same set-up and really like the traditional muscle car look. They are a little loose in the rain though.

Other Options

There are other options for 15" tires apart from the dominant BFG & Goodyear offerings.

Bridgestone Indy 500 or Bridgestone Daytona SP for example, they come in the 225/255/275 etc x 60 x 15" common for vettes.

Also there's Hoosier, Cooper and the like, all have attributes that are usually in alignment with thier price. But the question has always been, are they any good on my car.

Best advice, go to a REAL tire expert (as opposed to just a tire shop).
Yes their tires are usually a little dearer, but they are the experts, so pay the premium, but make them accountable.

Ask for their recomendation for your car, based on your written description of what you use the car for, take them for a ride with your existing tires, explaining the problems and issues as you see them, also on your list.
Then ask them to recomend a tire using their expertise, based on this information for your car.

Once re-shod, (and before you pay) re-run the same course (track) with them on board, and see if your issues (as identified on your list) have been remedied, if so fine - job well done, shake their hand and pay the bill and recomend them to all your friends.

If not, then they are kinda obligated to work with you, either in setup alteration or other tire brand to get it right.

I have used this method, and it does work with professionals who are really experianced in their knowledge, rather than just regurgitating company marketing propaganda or "the my mate said" theory. If they wont back their call, why should you?

Yes I probably paid 10% more for this expertise, but I was very happy with the final result and didnt have to wait to wear them out to fix the original issues.

And yes initially they were not quite right, but he was adamant he was correct. A little tweak with less toe, and he was right, they were really awesome tires.

Something to think about?

Just my $0.02 worth

:beer Grant

New tires are in my immediate future as well.
I am between the Dunlop GT's and the Goodyear's. I know I want the raised white lettering to keep with the look.

Best advice, go to a REAL tire expert (as opposed to just a tire shop).
Yes their tires are usually a little dearer, but they are the experts, so pay the premium, but make them accountable.

Your right! But over here in Holland (Europe) these tires are mostly not available. The BF's maybe are good tire's and are available over here. But they come as a offroad tire for 100% street use. I cannot relay on any expert over here if they don't have all the tire options I'm considering i think.

Greetings Peter.

The BFs are junk IMO, about the only quality tire in the wider ranges for 15" is the Pirelli scorpion zero and it looks awful since it's a SUV tire. The P zero asimmetrico is available in 345/35 ZR15TL 95Y

Twin_Turbo said:
The BFs are junk IMO
Since I have never heard of the tire your talking about , maybe you could help me understand why BF's are junk.
Chas

Chas said:
Since I have never heard of the tire your talking about , maybe you could help me understand why BF's are junk.
Chas

Hey Chas
The BFG's are just old technology (the classic white letter ones), the design must be at least 25 years old (maybe even 30 yrs), and if you'd driven a car on modern designed sports tires, youll get where Twin Turbo is coming from, they just grip so much better, and from experiance I can say that tire selection is one of, if not the most important, part of your suspension.
The differances between good and excellent are dramatic on lap times!
Just a thought, the Countach ran 285/45/15 front and the 345/35/15 rear (as stated by Twin Turbo) and both still avalible. Also I think the Pantera (USA) ran something similar, what are these owners in the states doing now? There must be something avalible for these people, maybe contact thier local club or something?
Anyway Good Luck!
:beer Grant

Those pirellis are available over there as they are indeed originally for the countach and pantera crowd. They are by far the best tires available in 15". Indeed I'm talking about grip and handling, the tires are the most important and the BFGs are marginal at best and most others are even worse.

Dunlop GT Qualifier's (Raised White Letters)

255-60-15 all around

As long as you aren't concerned about white letter tires, then look at any tire on TireRack. However, finding a good performance tire in 15" is very very slim. The Kumho ECSTA V700 (sizing 225/45/15) is about it. It's kinda narrow though. But would still likely hold better than a BFG Radial T/A in a 255 width...

However, if you bump up to a 17" rim...you have your pick of the litter.
Go out to TireRack here and do the tire selector by size. Start with a 255/45/17. Select See All Results. There are 33 tires available. You can select the Sort by: Performance Type. (I think that's the default.) It starts with the "Extreme Performance" tires and goes down from there. If you click on the Test Results or Survey Results off to the right of each tire, you'll see how it stacks up to other comparable tires in the list.

You might also try this link... It may take you right to the results I was talking about, already sorted... Click Here

Chas said:
maybe you could help me understand why BF's are junk.
Chas, as stated between your post and this one, the BFG Radial T/A's are old technology. They are really just for show nowadays. They don't use any new compounds and the tread pattern isn't really conducive to performance driving. Additionally, they are only speed rated for 112mph. Speed rating is more important when talking in terms of extended times at speed. But it can still be a rough measuring stick for 'performance'. Obviously they handle above 112 mph, it's just not recommended for long periods.
I use these tires only because of the looks. Until BFG ("Michelin") starts making the Comp T/A's again with WLR, I'm sticking with these. Or until I go to a 17" rim, then I'll change over to a non-WLR and get some real stickies...

Firestone Firehawk Indy 500's 255/60-15 Raised White Letters on stock Rally's all the way around. They are great looking tires that handle and wear extremely well.

I have been very happy with my Goodyear Eagle GT2 255/60/r15 's on my 82. They are really sticky, even in the rain. I used to like breaking the 275's loose on corners, but these don't break away, not even on wet pavement.

Evolution1980 said:
Chas, as stated between your post and this one, the BFG Radial T/A's are old technology. They are really just for show nowadays. They don't use any new compounds and the tread pattern isn't really conducive to performance driving. Additionally, they are only speed rated for 112mph. Speed rating is more important when talking in terms of extended times at speed. But it can still be a rough measuring stick for 'performance'. Obviously they handle above 112 mph, it's just not recommended for long periods.
I use these tires only because of the looks. Until BFG ("Michelin") starts making the Comp T/A's again with WLR, I'm sticking with these. Or until I go to a 17" rim, then I'll change over to a non-WLR and get some real stickies...

It still dont explain why they are "junk".....i guess if i were on the autoban or running with $100,000 plus cars I would look into tires more suited for those conditions...
(112 mph?...not here.) However I run with a muscle car crowd and Im guessing 80% have this tire.
Thanks for the input.
Chas

Chas said:
It still dont explain why they are "junk".....i guess if i were on the autoban or running with $100,000 plus cars I would look into tires more suited for those conditions...
(112 mph?...not here.) However I run with a muscle car crowd and Im guessing 80% have this tire. Thanks for the input.
Don't take the description so literally... :r

They just aren't great "performance" tires by today's standards. If it fits your purpose and use and budget, then they are fine! One mans junk is another man's treasure... Like calling a Kia Rio 'junk' compared to a vette. Same overall function, but used in a different capacity. Ya dig? :D

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom