Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

WINTERIZING ?THIS MAY BE A SHORT WINTER ?

It has officially snowed every day for the last two weeks. 6 " last night.
I had to shovel off the bushes because they were down to the sidewalk with snow weight. 4 degrees the other day made me move all of the beer inside from the garage. My peanut oil for turkey frying looks like vaseline in the plastic jug.
But the car still starts by itself without external heat sources, so everything is good.;LOL

Okay.. so the car has not been started in a month now.. and it is winter finally ! Two weeks of snow on the ground and 5 days of 20 to -5 F... Should I try to start it.. or let it be for awhile longer ?

Tom

Let it be. Slap a charge on the battery if you really have to play with it.
When it's this cold, plastic parts break when you bend them. You know, like the frame around your battery box hatch lid, armrests, seat belt holders, console.
All my old 70's winter cars had shattered seat belt shrouds from moving them in cold temps.
Best not to take chances.:)

Okay.. so the car has not been started in a month now.. and it is winter finally ! Two weeks of snow on the ground and 5 days of 20 to -5 F... Should I try to start it.. or let it be for awhile longer ?

Tom
It's a little cold yet but when it warms up a little and you just can't stand it the following I'd recommend. Charge your battery before starting .Move the car at least some ,even if only in the driveway.Most important bring your oil temp up which takes two to three times longer than water.Second most important sit in it and think warm thoughts. 53 days till April 1st.:)

I hope everyone is fine..specially those of you in upstate NY. :ugh :eek:hnoes ;help
Keep warm!

Iwill definitely take that advice !

As for Western NY... 10 feet of snow in Oswego County !?:W

Two inches on the ground here with temps between 30 to 15.. all subject to change at a moments notice.. as this is NE OH afterall !;squint:

Tom:w

Iwill definitely take that advice !

As for Western NY... 10 feet of snow in Oswego County !?:W

Two inches on the ground here with temps between 30 to 15.. all subject to change at a moments notice.. as this is NE OH afterall !;squint:

WOW! think about 10 feet of snow in NY,thats a lot of snow-vetts won't be out till Oct !:ugh

Okay.. so down to 5 tonight and there is 18 inches of snow on the ground.. I still have not started the car or even opened a door.. dont know how the battery is at this time.. I did fully charge it before the cold weather started about 40 days ago.

Hey ! It is expected to be 33 tomorrow for the high ! Woo Hoo !!:beer

Same for me Tom. I did put a coat of wax on it today....dome lights come on....pretty soon buddy

Wax !?

Joe you really must have warmed up that garage !

Good for you !!:D

two electric ceiling heaters and it was 65 in there today... I like hanging out in the garage.....especially when my daughter and wife start the girly arguments. I got both cars washed today and bought some new wax....once I started I could not stop!!!

Supposed to be 45F here in Ontario by the weekend!

I was in Watertown NY on the weekend and all I can say is HOLY CRAP!!! I don't know if I've ever seen so much snow on the ground and it was coming down like crazy! Hope it warms up soon for the sake of all the good Corvette folks who are buried like that.

THINK SPRING!

....Hey ! It is expected to be 33 tomorrow for the high ! Woo Hoo !!:beer

A real Heat Wave, Tom! We had 65 deg F on Saturday, but by today we have lost about another 20 degrees. Some low front and moisture from Baja California/Mexico could bring more snow. That should be Snow Storm #8 since beginning January.

snow in chicago,ill

well i stored the car in oct.hubby started it once when it was snow on the ground in the driveway. the garage is not heated i covered it . will it be ok it is still a lot of snow here. will it be ok ?

Don't worry.
A battery loses about 18% of it's charge per month of unuse.
So if it was started before Christmas, it still has over 50% it it's charge left.
It might be a good idea to start it and let it run for 1/2 Hr. or so while the temps are a little warmer now if you don't have access to a battery charger. Or if you have an outlet and a charger, put it on charge for an hour or two.

It will be nice a clean when you take the cover off, so pick a nice day to do it.:)

well i stored the car in oct.hubby started it once when it was snow on the ground in the driveway. the garage is not heated i covered it . will it be ok it is still a lot of snow here. will it be ok ?
Your car is fine ,Orange cars winter better than others due to the amount of vitamine c stored in the paint.Increased use during summer months will help the car store more vit c for winter.:)

That must make mine anemic !:)

Winter is back... snow and windy tonight.. oh well atleast half of the snow melted with the 40 degree weather and rain...

Tom

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom