Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

T cool or not to cool (another C4 AC question)

R

RedVetteMan

To cool or not to cool (another C4 AC question)

(With apologies to Shakespeare)

Checking out a rattling noise under my hood, I discovered that the AC pulley is broken, and also noticed a little smoke coming from between the clutch and the belt pulley. I suspect I've either fried my compressor or the shaft bearing. The pulley still turns, albeit with difficulty. I've had the car more than four years, and used the AC once, 3 years ago. I don't drive it during the winter, so I've never used the defroster.

So I'm left with these options:
1. Replace compressor/clutch, etc. and have someone recharge the system. I'm hesitant to do this because I never use the AC. I drive it only on nice days, with the top off. No sense cooling the outside air or spending all that money. So this brings me to the next option...
2. Is there a reasonable way to replace the compressor with a slave pulley assembly so I can continue to use the serpentine belt arrangement, or
3. Gut the compressor and disconnect the AC piping?

Any insight from you good people out there is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Paul

My compressor seized up 3 summers ago. I unplugged the connection to the clutch and it then moved freely. You could try that. However they do sell idler pulley assemblies to follow your first idea.
HTH

My compressor seized up 3 summers ago. I unplugged the connection to the clutch and it then moved freely. You could try that. However they do sell idler pulley assemblies to follow your first idea.
HTH

Thanks tonylong,

It sounds like replacing the clutch assembly, and disconnecting the electrical connection may be the ticket. The pulley portion actually broke from the hub at 4 locations, so it seems like maybe the bearing seized.

p

This is a follow-up on my initiation of this thread...

I was able to pickup an aftermarket AC compressor clutch and pulley at NAPA auto parts for about $120, which is about half of what the dealer wanted for the set. An additional $60 for the pulley pullers and new split ring pliers, and the car is back on the road. I also disconnected the AC electrical connection to prevent inadvertantly turning on the AC...since I never use the AC anyway.

Now if I can only figure out what caused the pulley to break in the first place...

p

Is the system still charged? You may need it in a high humidity situation, I think called rain, to clear the windshield. I understan NOBODY ever drives their Corvette in the rain so never mind.

The oil in the compressor needs to circulate every now and then or it's back to Napa.

Cheers.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom