Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

ATTN: Big Red, your combo suggestions

-=Jeff=-

Corvette
1990 ZR-1
To recap from the other thread
Originally posted by -=Jeff=-
Okay. I would suggect this package then TPis # 500-670 $4200USD

it includes:
-Miniram with fuel rails and AFPR
-TPiS/AFR heads
-ZZ9 cam
-timing set
-lifters
-pushrods
-rocker arms
-headbolts
-intake, head and timing cover gaskets

I would then almost suggest to go with the 7730 Camaro Speed density computer instead the conversion we talked of (which I still have not had time to work on)

Originally posted by BigRed
Ok you blew me over.

What is a Speed Density computer? And will I have all the functions of the digital dash? <-- Would it be smarter to convert to analog (I think this is doable by me)

Is this a hard mod to perfom? Am I going to have to start choppin and cuttin the wire harnesses? (Remember your talking to a putz LOL I have a understanding but I just figured out the whole ECM Fuel injection thing)

Aside from that what are the benefits over the 89 computer we are working towards?

Will explain more in my next post in this thread

Speed Density:

For the future plans you have for your car especially with the Miniram. the Speed Density system will work better. It basically replaces the MAF with a MAP sensor (these systems are on the 90-91 corvettes). I also think that TPiS *may* sell a wiring harness that would plug into your car inplace of you existing harness.. if not it can be done with out too many changes..

Functions on your Digital dash.. you will retain all important functions but lose the not so important ones (Range, AVG MPG, INSTANT MPG). This is because of the software in the current ECM/PROM and that of the MAP ECM. Reason I suggested the F-Body ECM is because it is made for under the dash installation, you would still use a Vette MEMCAL to base the tuning off of.

I found going from the MAF system to the MAP system I was able to spin to 6200 RPM and still have power. My MAF system I could only go to 5800 before it fell on its face.. This was done with no motor changes..

If you decide on analog gauges you can also do that.. adds to the cool factor.

I don't think you would be chopping any wiring though. it can be made to be Plug and Play..

Okay there is a start

Questions?

SD Harness

Jim's Performance, http://www.jimsperformance.com/ modded my harness for speed density, at his recommend. The '90 Camaro computer is in the stock location.

Jim has always been very available and extremely knowledgeable. The only thing I'd change in this area is having him set it up for DFI; a minor charge. Call, or write him.

Ensure you find someone who can do YOUR chip, in PERSON, or you'll never get the car to run as it should.

Been there!! After hundreds of hours of chip work, my '84 kicks butt!

:w

Hopefully Jeff's the man for the PROM! :s

That sounds fine to me. The reason I suggest the analog gauges was because Id hate to be staring at a "empty" box on my dash. (Future mod lets take it one at a time.)

Ok as for the ECM, there is a harness coming from the engine and one leading to the gauges correct? TPiS I noticed sells both Camaro and Vette Harnesses so one would assume they'd know how to or be able to build one for me. (Lets hope for simplicity)

Now is the harness leading to my cluster the same? Or will I have to replace the one buried in the dash?

This is great information Jeff I really apprecitate your help.

BigRed said:

Ok as for the ECM, there is a harness coming from the engine and one leading to the gauges correct?

Now is the harness leading to my cluster the same?

Or will I have to replace the one buried in the dash?

Yes the Engine harness is for all the ECM Functions and the Front Body harness has all the gauges. The only gauge ont he ECM harness is the Speedo, but I think who ever makes the harness will be able to address that.

The harness going to your cluster is the Dash harness it is separate from the Engine harness, so you will not have to replace the one in the dash.

Believe it or not there are 5 harnesses in your car..
-Foward body Harness
-Engine Harness
-Dash Harness
-Rear body Harness
-Dash to Rear harness interconnect.

I would email jimsperformance on a quote for a harness. I think he will be much better priced then TPiS for that..

Went to Jimsperformance.com (Cute site Lol) I agree he is very reasonable and seems to have what we need.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom