Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Cost of an oil change at dealer?

kingman

Corvette
2002 Torch Red Coupe
Hey

Yesterday l took my 02 into a local dealer for an oil change because there was no wait and they seemed slow. I also went with a discount coupon that was on their web site for approx $29.00 but l was aware at the time that it was not for syn oil Mobil One.

Now this was for an oil change/filter and lube. I also told them not to check anything else out.

Bottom line an hour later it was finished and everything was in order except the bill came to $96.00.

They charged me $9.95 per quart and l needed 7 quarts, the rest was the filter and labor plus taxes.

Was l hosed :boogie and if l was how badly?

Thanks

Alan:beer

Yes you were!!! I just got a oil change at speed/monroe, and it was 39.99 including topping off the windshield washer fluid!:mad

For mobil 1 synthetic, the dealer that I've used charges approx 85-90 bucks.
So, it is certainly high, but in line with what I have heard for dealers and a mobil 1 change.
What I've started doing is taking my own oil and filter to the drive-over valvoline place. I go down in the pit with them and watch them change it. Still something of a ripoff at $20 bucks or so (plus the oil and filter cost), but a lot easier than getting the car up on jacks and getting all nasty doing it myself. And better than $85-90 at the dealer.

Tammy

For mobil 1 synthetic, the dealer that I've used charges approx 85-90 bucks.
So, it is certainly high, but in line with what I have heard for dealers and a mobil 1 change.
What I've started doing is taking my own oil and filter to the drive-over valvoline place. I go down in the pit with them and watch them change it. Still something of a ripoff at $20 bucks or so (plus the oil and filter cost), but a lot easier than getting the car up on jacks and getting all nasty doing it myself. And better than $85-90 at the dealer.

Tammy

This is what I do as well.

The dealer

Hi

Another reason that l use a dealer is because at a dealership the service is recorded and there is a record when somebody does a vin check to verify the mileage or whatever.

Plus my GMPP extended warranty goes until 2/10 and l don't ever want to hear that something is not covered because l took it else where to do something.

Thanks

I would say that you were screwed. Half the fun of owning a Corvette is maintenance. In doing your own you save a ton.

Hi

Another reason that l use a dealer is because at a dealership the service is recorded and there is a record when somebody does a vin check to verify the mileage or whatever.

Plus my GMPP extended warranty goes until 2/10 and l don't ever want to hear that something is not covered because l took it else where to do something.

Thanks

I don't think you have to worry about that. Just keep good records of the maintenance- whether you did it yourself or at someplace other than the dealer. The extended warranty does not require that you have the car serviced at the dealer.

Having said that, having all the maintenance work done at the dealer will certainly put you in good favor with them, however. It certainly can't hurt that relationship.

I only had my oil changed once at the dealer. I used my extended warranty for about $2500 worth of repairs. They never questioned the service records or where/when maintenance had been done. I realize this is just anecdotal :)

Tammy

Alan

Even after the $96.00 bill, consider yourself lucky the delaer didnt F-anything up on your car and you dint find any new custom body and or paint work.

To answer you question about being hosed, It costs me $45 to do an oil change in my garage or driveway.

I dont think you were hosed, $50 extra over the DIY price when its 21 degrees in the sun isnt bad. As long as it this didnt turn into a "I took my Vette in for an oil change and..............." story.

WS

Hey

After owning my last vette a 96 l realized that with all of the electronics l am better off paying the piper and let the pro's do it.

And with the C5 even more so. Yes the oil change is no big deal but to deal with it
is a pain these days.

Hi Warren

Your right it's too cold to be out there and the only level ground that l have is in my garage and it's freezing in there. And l have very little room to play.

Alan

Yesh - In the summer its not bad.

dsc03022.jpg

Your tires look Awesome !

Hi Warren

What kind of dressing do you use on your tires?

The very first oil change I ever did in my Z06 was done at a dealership, and that $96 cost sounds about what I paid. Mind you, this is a good quality dealership with excellent reputation- it's just that as a dealership, they carry so much overhead, they almost have to charge you those excessive rates for the hourly work of techs.

The solution I came to was to find a AAA-rated repair facility in my area with ASE certified mechanics. The overhead is far lower. For PM stuff like oil changes, they can't be beat. Even with the Mobil 1, the oil/lube/filter costs me around $70.00, and I get a discount as a AAA member.

And they let me watch them do the work, if I want.

-Patrick

C5 Oil Changes

Tammy, Patrick,

Aren't you two amazed on how I've stayed out of this thread?

Remo:cool

QuicksilverFrontjpg.jpg

We pay $49.95 for our oil changes at the Chevy Dealership where we purchased our Z06. That is good until 8/08. I didn't look the last time I was there but they were charging $79.95 at one time. After 08/08 I will buy the oil and filter and get it done at my work.

Donna

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom