Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

[For Sale] 1990 Callaway ZR-1

Stan is right , the market does dictate selling prices ,always has. Now is the time to buy a C4 .But not the time to sell. I believe its the normal flow of things .The C3 went thru the same thing and prices are up again on them. If I had a ZR1 or a CC I wouldnt sell it right now unless I had to. The value will be there again. Just because the market says your car is worth said amount of money doesnt mean you have to feel like your at a loss. When the ZR1 and CC'S get older they will be where they should be in price. This is a normal trend. I only wish I could take advantage of the current market.

Re: It's YOUR car! Get the price YOU deserve

LouBelleraVideo said:
How very special that is when people marvel at a pristine Corvette from the past when it hits the road.

Lou, who are you trying to kid... we know you don't actually drive those museum quality babies!! :) :t

Sorry but I can't agree to pay certain dealers prices that are over inflated based on the very real market for these cars that does exist. Unfortunately, to the majority of the buying public ZR1s and Callaways are currently just used out of warranty Corvettes. There are not enough true collectors in the market now. Those that are and have some foresight will snap up some really good deals. More power to them... me... us.

It was the same way in the mid to late '70s with rare muscle cars. They were a dime a dozen and you couldn't give them away. These were the cars that we drove and beat the heck out of when I was in high school. Now go buy a big block muscle car! They are on top of the market right now. Our day will come with the C4 exotics... but that day is not today.

You bet your :booty I drive them.But only on rare occasions:L
PS
Who gives a F who is right or who is wrong here.Buy your car.Sell the F in thing or whatever but just enjoy it while you have it! Enough is enough all ready:argue

LouBelleraVideo said:
Enough is enough all ready:argue

Right on!!! Group hug... :cu

Everyone off the computer and get out there and drive! :bu

God Bless All of You

Including Stan:s
Worrying about how much money we can get for our cars is like the Yankees worrying about what starter to use in todays game.I'll take that problem as opposed to NOT having any car to sell at all if and when I'm ready.:upthumbs

Now this is what I like to see! :) :cu :cu

Big Hugs!!!!!!!!!!!

Who do I give the next kiss too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Where are you,............Lou!

Got to run.................... I got a phone call.

Stan

Where was I?

Working Stan! :(
How do you think I pay for all of these cars? :J
Just got in at 2 a.m. and of course unwind by seeing what you guys had to say and catch up on the local news and sports.
Glad to see we are on big happy Callaway family again.:beer

All together

WE WERE NEVER ANYTHING ELSE.......................

We all have difference of opinions but this is what makes us what we are all about.

Take care,
Stan

Re: Nice car!!!!!!!!!!

Stan A said:
Hi Rob,

Nice car but the market is way down at this time. Current retail on any ZR1 with that mileage is under 18k retail and the Callaway package would only add another 5k to 6k to the total value. This car won't sell now. I am sure that the reserve is at 32k or higher.

Stan

Here you are talking retail prices, then wholesale later... Dealers will do anything to spend as little as possible, and I don't like, nor do business with that kind of dealer... I had a loaded '87 convertible and was told by a dealer that it was not desirable to have all the options because all of the electronics etc. break easily, it was also not desirable to have an automatic... I went back to this dealer with a 93 6-speed coupe with basically nothing on it (power drivers seat was it)... the same dealer explained to me that it was not desirable because it didn't have all of the options, and it was 6-speed, which is harder to sell... this was a reputable corvette dealer... I bought my car from a dealer, but one that just wants to make a quick (and small) buck off of their cars... they had a fixed price on the car, which was lower than the market... they made their 500 bucks off of me, and the car sold quickly... I was happy because I paid 500 over wholesale, they were happy to make a quick sale, and make room for another car... If all dealers were like that, I wouldn't mind them... but most of them talk like Stan A, where it seems no matter what the car is, it is on the down side of the market, and it isn't worth much when they are buying... The market always seems to be up when it comes time to make the sale though

BRAVO!!

Well said! I finally got someone to understand what I was trying to say regarding this whole matter!:hb

A Repeat

Hi Bob,

When it comes to buying and selling of any car and dealers are involved, you are absolutely right. But we all have said this and agree already.

What you call "talking like a dealers" and stating that the market is on the down swing is a fact. Like I said, I don't set prices but passing on what is taking place is important. It the "knowledge" thing. I stated what a car is worth based on the setup, mileage, and condition. These are facts that will always be present when it comes to selling or buying.

When the market starts back up, I will be the first one to pass on the positive news.

Sran

Yes But...

Stan just because you became aware of classic Vettes that have been selling for lower than average prices lately doesnot mean the market has become flat.What about the classics that are selling strong that you do not know about.Rogers Corvettes are always selling their C4's which are always priced strong.I know because they paid 40 grand for my 94 torch red ZR1 and sold it 6 months later for 43 grand. I also follow the recent sales of Rogers and Unique Corvettes as someone who might follow the stock market and they sell their C4's at regular intervals at very high prices.Having said that does not mean that the prices are strong either.There are some out there that find a low milage pristine car and steal it at a low price if the seller is desperate or there are those who shop at Rogers etc. see what they want and have the bucks to spend it and obtain instant gratification.There is no exact science to obtaining these cars.Luck can paly a role in that process too. :drink

You just couldn't let it go could you?????

I thought we agreed we were done talking about this. :( Could we agree to disagree and get on with life and the pursuit of fine automobiles. :beer

I don't think you got the memo, the market is always on a downswing. If there were upswings in the market, the values of our cars would at least have the possiblity of going up, and in my experience, they always depreciate in value. My point, Stan, is that you always chime in and tell us all that the value of cars posted here are way down and less than what the owner wants. You further explain how not only is the car worth less, but the car is worth way less, and you make it sound like you can buy these super rare cars up all day long for basically nothing. On the other hand, if you had that same car for sale, you would be the one making arguments on the car's extremely high value and rare status. I am sure anyone that has been to a Corvette dealer can relate to this. No matter what Corvette you have, no matter what options it has, the dealer will come up with a reason why the car is hard to sell.... If you are trying to trade in a yellow car for a red one, all of a sudden yellow isn't worth any money because it is hard to sell... go back to that same dealer, and yellow is hard to find, and brings a premium price. This is just one example, I have personally experienced... I can go on if you would like me to.

Last Post

First, there is no doubt that cars will vary in price on resale. This is a given fact. Some dealers will sell higher than other; some will sell lower than others. Yes, I personally do not and cannot keep with all sales activities that takes place in the US. No one can. Just for this reason dealers too have to rely on a service that does nothing but track activities.

Again, the point I am passing on to you and all the other is what is stated in market values. If you doubt what I am saying, I will gladly email you a wholesale pricing guide that the dealers are using for these cars. This is where the info comes from. Like I said, I don't make the market values!

As to the market moving in a single direction, it is easy seen when you follow the guideline month after month. When values keep going down than you a a trend.

Arguing with anyone over values is not what we should be doing. I want to see values up like everyone of us. This is a slow process no matter which direction you start from. Like I said, the market will turn. How soon? I can only guess. The faster the better!

The key here on the CAC is pass along information. Good or bad is not the issue. What is important is the info itself and how we use it.

I believe that we have run this thread into the ground. I suggest that we move on.

Anyone selling a car in this market, I wish them the best. Like I said, ...get the most you can. Like someone else said,..."stay away from the dealers". I think that we can all agree on this issue.

Stan

I HAVE TO CHIME IN AGAIN

STAN! What dealers are we talking about here?If you are talking about CHEVY dealers down the block then you are correct.The classics in pristine shape aren't worth jack ****.HOWEVER if we are talking about dealers who specialize in exotic and classic cars then maybe I need a pair of glasses because the last time I looked Rogers Corvette Center in Floridia, Unique Corvettes on Long Island, Baystate Motorsports in New England,Pro Team Corvettes in Ohio, Conte's Corvettes in New Jersey,D and M Corvettes in Ohio,to name a few,ALL of these dealers have SOLD recently and are currently selling Classic Corvettes at moderate to high prices.
PS
While you think about your umpteenth response to that I'll go spend some energy waxing up one of my low priced classic Vette babies for some relaxation.Now lets have a debate as to which one I should wax first..the yellow pace car convertible?Maybe the Red Callaway coupe?AHHH HA! The Nassau Blue Roadster!! Decisions, decisions, decisions. :L

Lou , you are correct about the specialty dealers. They have the backdrop to sell these cars for more then the average chevy dealer and they have the knowhow. The specialty dealers know the value will be there in the future and they bank on it. The average dealers are looking at the Real time market and are buying and selling at prices to move them fast and a different kind of buyer. Some people are flattered to pay the collector price. I think the problem here Lou ,is that you or no one else whats to hear or be told that there rare car isnt worth what they think it isby the real time market. I wouldnt either . But dont fret ,your babies will be worth everything youthink they will in the realtime market in short order. Stan is being realistic . You refuse to believe it could be true. But then , who gives a rats a**. Lets drivem and lovem. :D

Thanks Dave!

Your comment was not only accurate but to the point!

Everyone have a great day..

Stan

DUH?

I don't get it Dave :hb On the one hand you agree with me that the PROPER and PROVEN forum to gauge past and current EXOTIC and CLASSIC CORVETTE selling prices are the SPECIALTY dealerships that sell them, and then on the other hand you say that my babies as well as other members babies are only worth what the desperate schmuck who sells his car to a local dealship who buys and sells mordern day new and used cars gets for his car. :( Either you have to be dumb or blind as to over look the FACTUAL selling prices that the dealerships I have previously mentioned SOLD their cars to collectors for, and what they will PAY for them. I all ready collected 40 grand last year from Rogers on my 94 ZR1 with 1,000 miles.They sold it 3 months ago for 43 grand! THAT'S A FACT! If you want to see the car go to ZR1 Net and look up under the members photos, my car will be under my name. You'll also see my 90 ZR1 with 980 miles I sold to Unique Corvettes for 32 Grand. The car is currently on their web site.These dealerships that I mentioned buy and sell quality classic Corvettes for outstanding prices every month.Don't take my word for it just go out and buy one Stan, or Dave.
As for me collecting cars has been a joy and life long hobby.I buy and sell at my own whim.The 88 Callaway was an insane whim of mine to sell. I took it off the market 2 days after I posted it.The car will be on display at a Covette show here on Long Island in August at Palanker Chevrolet, a well known Corvette dealership, as well as my 86 yellow 4+3 pace car convertible.
Like you did say correctly Dave, buy them and ENJOY them.We all know that you are not going to retire buying and selling these cars but if you want to get a fair barometer on what the PRISTINE classics sells for use the dealships that have been in business for over 25 years that specializes in them like Unique Corvettes and Rogers Corvette Center as your yardstick and not Joe Blow Chevrolet down the block. :nono
PS
The MAIN and ONLY REASON in my opinion to buy a Classic car in most cases(except if the 90 year old lady down the block sells you her original 53 Corvette for a couple of grand) is NOT necessarily to make money but primarily the pride of ownership to own something from the past that is SPECIAL to you and you alone.I swear to the BIG CAR COLLECTOR IN THE SKY I am done on this topic, even if Stan comes out with documentated proof He can get my exact 88 Callaway out of a craker jack box. :L

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom