Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

GM - Here is what we think of the License Plate Mount

Here is what we think of the C6 LP mount:

• It is hideous and can not be allowed to be placed into production

Votes: 311 62.2%
  • I like it. It blends with the aerodynamic flow of the C6

Votes: 16 3.2%
  • Who at GM was drunk when he approved this thing?

Votes: 166 33.2%
  • I love Vipers and / or Mustangs so I hope this LP mount makes it into production

Votes: 7 1.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Magazine photos of C6/front license always 'missing'-wonder why?

I just received my new issues of Vette and Corvette Enthusiast magazines. Both have very nice photos on the covers of the new Z06. Problem is that neither includes the HIDEOUS front plate mount. I noticed years ago that initial photos of the C5 usually did not include rear views. The "wide load ahead" view of the fat bottomed C5 did not support the editorial view of the wonderful appearance of the car....so they just left out the unflattering photos. So, now we have every corvette magazine , not to mention all GM literature, NEVER showing a vette with the HIDEOUS front license plate attached. Is this truthful? I don't think so. The way the mount rides on the upper portion of the front spoils the appearance totally. It's gross. I have also decided that it is a deal breaker for me. I have to have a front plate in my state and they DO stop and ticket for it. Until it's improved the C6 is off my wish list. I think it will look even worse when spoiling the appearance of the new Z06. It should be mounted lower with a better designed bracket. UGLY UGLY UGLY. Sorry GM the C6 is a great car but this is inexcuseable.

OLDGOAT said:
I just received my new issues of Vette and Corvette Enthusiast magazines. Both have very nice photos on the covers of the new Z06. Problem is that neither includes the HIDEOUS front plate mount. I noticed years ago that initial photos of the C5 usually did not include rear views. The "wide load ahead" view of the fat bottomed C5 did not support the editorial view of the wonderful appearance of the car....so they just left out the unflattering photos. So, now we have every corvette magazine , not to mention all GM literature, NEVER showing a vette with the HIDEOUS front license plate attached. Is this truthful? I don't think so. The way the mount rides on the upper portion of the front spoils the appearance totally. It's gross. I have also decided that it is a deal breaker for me. I have to have a front plate in my state and they DO stop and ticket for it. Until it's improved the C6 is off my wish list. I think it will look even worse when spoiling the appearance of the new Z06. It should be mounted lower with a better designed bracket. UGLY UGLY UGLY. Sorry GM the C6 is a great car but this is inexcuseable.
========================================================
Can you be more specific about your unhappiness over the front plate?(j/k);LOL

OLDGOAT said:
...I noticed years ago that initial photos of the C5 usually did not include rear views. The "wide load ahead" view of the fat bottomed C5 did not support the editorial view of the wonderful appearance of the car....

Thanks to Sir Mix-A-Lot and J-Lo a big butt is no longer something to be ashamed of. I love my C5 from any angle!

I like big butts and I can not lie
You other brothers can't deny
That when a girl walks in with an itty bitty waist
And a round thing in your face
You get sprung, wanna pull out your tongue
'Cause you notice that butt was stuffed
Deep in the jeans she's wearing
I'm hooked and I can't stop staring
Oh baby, I wanna get wit'cha
And take your picture

Hey Bluecoupe,

Thanks for continuing my education into popular culture. I recall a similar song by , I think, Queen. They were first to set the idea to music. Tastes differ in women, cars, and music-ain't America great with so many options for us all!

To Torch Red...we all know about all the time in the GM wind tunnel making the C6 as slippery in the wind as a SR-71. The factory solution to the front plate seems to totally counter the entire aerodynamic styling of the car. As such it visually clashes. It spoils the esthetics of appearance as much as it probably spoils the clean wind tunnel designed shape of the car. It's like an ugly wart. Why spend so much effort to design an aerodynamically clean and beautiful car and then promote it to the max only to add on this ugly appendage as a clear afterthought. Like....oops, we better add a front plate holder....let's tape it on about here. Do you think any wind tunnel tests were done with this thing on the car? Will it even stay on the car? It could have and should have been done much better. And...if I did not believe that the C6 were such a fantastic and revolutionary performance car this would not bother me. It totally clashes with the car.

Go with the Shopman designed bracket and it looks a lot better.

OLDGOAT said:
Hey Bluecoupe,

Thanks for continuing my education into popular culture. I recall a similar song by , I think, Queen. They were first to set the idea to music. Tastes differ in women, cars, and music-ain't America great with so many options for us all!

To Torch Red...we all know about all the time in the GM wind tunnel making the C6 as slippery in the wind as a SR-71. The factory solution to the front plate seems to totally counter the entire aerodynamic styling of the car. As such it visually clashes. It spoils the esthetics of appearance as much as it probably spoils the clean wind tunnel designed shape of the car. It's like an ugly wart. Why spend so much effort to design an aerodynamically clean and beautiful car and then promote it to the max only to add on this ugly appendage as a clear afterthought. Like....oops, we better add a front plate holder....let's tape it on about here. Do you think any wind tunnel tests were done with this thing on the car? Will it even stay on the car? It could have and should have been done much better. And...if I did not believe that the C6 were such a fantastic and revolutionary performance car this would not bother me. It totally clashes with the car.
You need to write a book or go on the Opra show to really capture an audience because you are not reaching enough Vette people here;LOL ;LOL ;LOL

sorry for the big words and complex sentence structure-ever consider a GED?

OLDGOAT said:
sorry for the big words and complex sentence structure-ever consider a GED?

;shrug ....didn't see any "big" words or anything "complex" in your whining post... ...that shows YOU got YOUR GED...:L

I'm a C4 owner but, that C6 front plate is HEINOUS, MONSTROUS AND WICKED!! :puke

If there are some of you who just have to put a plate up front, checkout this license plate bracket that I found surfing the web for C6 stuff. To me this would be preferable to the usual place to mount a license plate bracket. Smitty

link for alternate license plate mounting place

GM blew it and they know it.

My guess is that we will see a new bracket when the 2006 comes out.

Alan

Looks like what it was, an after thought... Crap on a white duck.:puke Just leave the damn thing off anyway... "Sorry officer, but my new Corvette didn't come with provisions for a front plate as you can plainly see. I've got my front plate with me though, is that OK?" :D

Z06 Tom said:
Looks like what it was, and after thought... Crap on a white duck.:puke Just leave the damn thing off anyway... "Sorry officer, but my new Corvette didn't come with provisions for a front plate as you can plainly see. I've got my front plate with me though, is that OK?" :D
:L ;LOL :L ;LOL

Z06 Tom said:
Looks like what it was, an after thought... Crap on a white duck.:puke Just leave the damn thing off anyway... "Sorry officer, but my new Corvette didn't come with provisions for a front plate as you can plainly see. I've got my front plate with me though, is that OK?" :D
:eyerole ...thats exactly what I told the officer and he wrote me a ticket within 10 seconds of my telling him that:)

[QUOTE='04 Torch Red]========================================================
:eyerole ...thats exactly what I told the officer and he wrote me a ticket within 10 seconds of my telling him that:)[/QUOTE]

Well, it was worth a shot... I've never understood why a cop would write a ticket for something like that. I can see giving you a warning, but actually giving you a citation is chicken s--t! Must have been a Mustang guy. I think I might have had to congratulate him on doing his part for keeping society safe.:eyerole

BTW, you'll notice what the front of my Z looks like... ;)

342%3A768723232%7Ffp58%3Dot%3E2323%3D85%3A%3D434%3D323285%3A343%3B23nu0mrj

I live in a state with photo radar. The front plate is mostly a revenue generation thing. They need it for the photo radar. The photo radar is run by a private company and when it is installed the yellow times on the lights are shortened unfairly. It's an automated ticket mill designed to "catch" people who are not running the light. Without the front plate the automated tickets won't stand up in the kangaroo courts set up to review them. So...the cops know it's about revenue and behave accordingly. They also use photo radar speed traps. It's been proven that many "speeders" are caught and cited for things like doing 35 in a 45. Still it's tough to get the automated tickets canceled. The cop who gave Z06Tom the ticket is just following orders. ( didn't they say that at Nuremburg? ) I don't think it's chicken anything. It's orders. Maybe he even has a quota? Give the poor guy a break. If you bought a C6 knowing about the front plate then stop complaining and put the ugly thing on your car. The lower front end of the C6 needs a minor redesign for the plate. Chicken s...is a good description for the ugly "after thought" quality of the present C6 plate location. I think the C5 plate location is better.

OLDGOAT said:
...I don't think it's chicken anything. It's orders. Maybe he even has a quota? Give the poor guy a break...

Nope, sorry OG, no break coming his way. Quota or not, he could've given '04TR a warning and sent him on his way. I'll put a front plate on my Z when they pry it from my cold, dead fingers! Either that, or I get a ticket, which ever.;)

CHP cops will not take that excuse, it cost me $10, a trip to DMV and to the CHP office for the to do a visual on the plate installed and they sign the ticket.

:eyerole

Status
Not open for further replies.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom