Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: How many Z07 owners do we have here?

I don't own a C4 Z07 but the cars have a special place in my Corvette heart.

Back in the summer of 1994 I did a long road test from the Los Angeles area up to the Black Hills Classic in South Dakota and back. Interestingly, the car I drove, which was owned by GM at the time, was later auctioned and bought by a dealer in the Phoenix area. It changed hands twice after that and is currently owned by a good friend of mine over there. Even more interesting is that '94 Z07 was the only Copper six-speed built. The car is driven almost daily and has well over 100K miles on it.

And, while we are talking about colors, the guys who own the Quasar Blue and Polo Green Z07s have to be proud of their very rare cars.

A little techie back ground on the option--

In 1989 and 1990, the Corvette Challenge cars (RPO R9G in MY90) were forerunners of Z07 and were built with Z51 and FX3 but without the suspension downgrade consumers got when those two RPOs were ordered. A statement was made here several years ago that at least one Z07 was built on the line at Bowling Green with special springs. I doubt that's true although it certainly is possible that some Z07s destined for the World Challenge were fitted with higher rate springs on an aftermarket basis...as were some Z07s for racing fitted with motorsports controllers for the SRC.

The Z07 chassis was composed of
Big front brakes
High rate front and rear springs (highest fronts in 1991, not quite as high fronts for 92-95, same rears for all years)
Larger diameter front and rear stabilizer bars (30/24 for 1991 and 30/26 for 92-95)
Higher durometer front lower control arm bushings.
Power steering cooler
275/40ZR17 tires Goodyear ZR Eagles on 91s and GS-Cs on 92-95s
Automatics had 3.07 axles

The Z07 RPO returned starting in 2011 and it had the same theme, lots of go fast parts.

As I said at the beginning, I was never lucky enough to own a C3 or C4 Z07 but I do own a 2012 Z07. One of three built with Carlisle blue, 1LZ and B92 and the only one built that way with RPO PBC.

Can I join?
:D

Last edited:
CAC Z07 Reunion?????

I spent all Saturday at Corvettes at Carlisle (CAC) looking for Z07s. Besides mine I found one. A black '92 owned by enthusiastic couple. Nice show sign. Theirs was the 100,000,018 corvette made . . . cool stat. He is a machinist and solved his ZF6 transmission rattle noise by making a throw out bearing 10 thousandths vice 50 thousandths clearance.

Who would be interested in a Z07 reunion at Corvettes at Carlisle next year, August 2014? I have seen plenty of other corvette reunions at CAC over the past 20 years. None have included the Z07. I did some casual info seeking. Lance Miller coordinates all special get togethers for CAC. If there is enough interest I would be willing to approach Lance for a Z07 reunion. Who is in?

Z07

I have a 95 compitition yellow z07 that also has the Fx3 and G92 options . Looking for additional information . Thank you

Let's see it...

:w

I have a 95 compitition yellow z07 that also has the Fx3 and G92 options . Looking for additional information . Thank you

TTIWWP.gif

z07

Well do....just as soon as it gets out of the paint shop :) . The car also has steel half shafts but not sure what option came with those

carlisle in 214

I spent all Saturday at Corvettes at Carlisle (CAC) looking for Z07s. Besides mine I found one. A black '92 owned by enthusiastic couple. Nice show sign. Theirs was the 100,000,018 corvette made . . . cool stat. He is a machinist and solved his ZF6 transmission rattle noise by making a throw out bearing 10 thousandths vice 50 thousandths clearance.

Who would be interested in a Z07 reunion at Corvettes at Carlisle next year, August 2014? I have seen plenty of other corvette reunions at CAC over the past 20 years. None have included the Z07. I did some casual info seeking. Lance Miller coordinates all special get togethers for CAC. If there is enough interest I would be willing to approach Lance for a Z07 reunion. Who is in?

I will be attending Sat and Sunday, 2014 with my "92 Quasar Blue Z07.

Just Purchased my 1992 Z07 a month ago

VIN 1G1YY23P4N5108799
Coupe
Automatic
Bright Aqua Metallic
Light Beige
Miami, Florida
milage 57,000

Original Owner

I have a 1992 Yellow Z07, 6 spd.

4000 miles, all original except for 1996 Grand Sport wheels all around.

Built June 2, 1992.

Well, I guess I need to do two welcomes! :w :w You both have very special cars. The Z07 option is about performance handling. I loved my 94. Post up some pictures of your cars when you have time. We always love seeing others rides.

New z07 owner ?

Hello 'Vetts brothers,& sisters. I am the new proud owner of a 1991 that has the z07 package and I have some ?'s that I would like to ask, if this thread is still active .Looks like it has been a while since anyone has posted here. Well maybe we can get it going again . If not I can try another thread, or start one myself. Looking forward to talking to some of you soon.
:beer

First off Dave57, I believe a WELCOME is in order! :w A 91 Z07? :thumb What kind of questions do you have? Hopefully. I can help and if not, somebody else probably can.

Welcome,
The Z07 page if you will is still monitored. Tom started it and I have taken over the task of cataloging the car with the Z07 package.

I f you like you can send me the VIN, color, trans, Manuf. date and I will place it into the registry Tom started.

Thanks
tcxd40

Mr. Halverson,
First I must say that I have nothing but the highest respect for you, your expertise in area of the C4 are second to none.
As stated in your post, highlighted in bold.

In 1989 and 1990, the Corvette Challenge cars (RPO R9G in MY90) were forerunners of Z07 and were built with Z51 and FX3 but without the suspension downgrade consumers got when those two RPOs were ordered. A statement was made here several years ago that at least one Z07 was built on the line at Bowling Green with special springs. I doubt that's true although it certainly is possible that some Z07s destined for the World Challenge were fitted with higher rate springs on an aftermarket basis...as were some Z07s for racing fitted with motorsports controllers for the SRC.

I own that Z07 optioned car that was never built. It was orginally ordered by Bob McClure, and if you know who Bob was he had major conections with Goodyear tires and GM racing from way back to the late 60s.
Mr. McClure as I knew him (he lived across the street from me) drove with Don Yenko, Dave Hines, Donna Mae, and others from the golden age of SCCA club racing. Bob was GMs rookie of the year in the early 70s. I have no doubt that the inforamtion provided from Bob is true about the springs being special built and installed via his connections at GM while on the line at Bowling Green. Why would he lie.
I have done my own research on the springs and have found that the ID sticker on the spring which is a paper colored dot matches none of those listed as being normally produced by GM, yet it is a GM spring.
Unfortunantly Mr.McClure passed away 9 years ago and took alot of information on the racing cars he owned with him. I have his last race car fully restored to the way he bought it in 1993,
it has been years since I have driven or even looked at the Vette which is a shame, sits in my garage under cover.

Sincerly
tcxd40

Got my '94 a month ago - 6th owner - has FX3 - what's the easiest way to determine if it's a Z07??

Welcome,
The Z07 page if you will is still monitored. Tom started it and I have taken over the task of cataloging the car with the Z07 package.

I f you like you can send me the VIN, color, trans, Manuf. date and I will place it into the registry Tom started.

Thanks
tcxd40
/

Where can I access the registry?

Where can I access the registry?[/QUOTE]

The registry as you say resides with me it is nothing official so to speak. It was started to track the Z07 cars by our moderator years back.
I just add the owners to the spread sheet that was started.

Registry:

Welcome,

Thanks
tcxd40
Thx to both of you for the response. I can give you what I have now, but i'm not sure where to get the manufacture date. I do have the build sheet & window sticker on the way so I will know more when I get them.
VIN : 1G1YY2387M5108464
Color: Black/Black
Trans : 4 spd Auto
This car seems to have an interesting history. I acquired this beautiful example of the '91 C4 just last weekend at the Auburn Indiana Auction. I was actually there to bid on another vehicle, ('69 TA Clone) but it ended up going past what I thought it was worth and still never got to the reserve. Anyway my wife and I had an exceptionally fun time during the two day's we spent there. We were watching dozens of Corvettes of all years go thru the cattle line, few of which, in my opinion got the respect they deserved, except for a few of the C1's. I could'nt hardly stand it anymore when I saw this stealthy looking C4 roll up on the block and as it came by me I noticed the Lingenfelter.com logo on the window. I had not looked at this car before then, (almost 1,000 cars went through the 4 day event) but the bidding was slow and we went for it. SUCCESS ! to our own surprise we went home with it !:happyanim: Ok, so now we are committed Corvette fanatics. I was even more pleased when I found out that this car was being sold by Ken Lingenfelters own collection where it has spent the last decade at his museum in Belleville Mi. We got to meet him, and he sent his " car collection manager " out with us to give us some details about the vehicle. According to him the car was ordered by a GM engineer and immediately sent to Lingenfelter for a full, top & bottom mod. then delivered to the dealership for pickup. Well 15 years later Ken Lingenfelter, John's cousin who bought the company from John Lingenfelter's son's wanted to open a museum, or collection he call's it, that is only available to the public for charity event's. he has over 100 car's in this collection now, but at that time he was buying back some of his work because he didn't have enough. So this was one of the cars he originally bought back, and now he is changing a few of them around so he brought the one's he's weeding out to the Auburn auction with no reserve, My lucky day !
First ? In your opinion is this engine upgrade a plus or a minus, or neither ?
My other ? is that in my research so far it seem's to be an extremely rare option to have the 1991 ZO7 package with the 4 spd auto trans. with the ZO7 package apparently 99% of the customers that year wanted the 6spd man. As far as I have been able to come up with, sounds like only 6 or 7 with the A4 trans. Do you know of any way to verify this ?
Thank's for any help, and it's my pleasure to be a member of such an enthusiastic community.
If you can tell me how to get the manufacture date off the car I will pass it along for the registry, or when I get the build sheet I will let you know then. Thx again.:w

Got my '94 a month ago - 6th owner - has FX3 - what's the easiest way to determine if it's a Z07??

Simple open the center console door look for the options tag if it is a Z07 that code will appear on the tag. If the tag is missing and in some cases it is. You can contact the National Corvette Museum and for a nominal cost they will send you the build sheet for your car. Or you can try to access the rear tail light panel and carefully remove the factory build sheet that should be affixed the to top of the fuel tank.

tcxd40

Evening ,
Inside the drivers door you should find the manufacturers tag with the vehicle information the date will should be for example 00/91.

At this time we have 5, Z07 eqpt. Vettes with the automatic for 1991, 6 for '92, too many to count for '93, 6 again for '94 and 5 for 1995.

tcxd40

Dave, if you have a 91 Z07 with auto, you DO have a rare beast there. There were a few, but very few.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom