Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: Need Help Identifying Mystery Part

blainelocklair

Corvette
1996 White/Tan 53k
Hello everyone,

Does anyone know what this part is and where it is supposed to be installed?

IMG_1407.jpg

It fell on the ground the first time I opened the hood on my 1996 Vette back in early February 2012. I forgot to ask about it then, and found it again while cleaning up some tools in the garage.

I'm assuming it belongs in the emission system somewhere, apparently with three hoses hooked to it (intuitive, ain't it?). I looked in some of the online catalogs for Vette parts and didn't see it.

Thanks!
Blaine

Hello everyone,

Does anyone know what this part is and where it is supposed to be installed?

View attachment 8417

It fell on the ground the first time I opened the hood on my 1996 Vette back in early February 2012. I forgot to ask about it then, and found it again while cleaning up some tools in the garage.

I'm assuming it belongs in the emission system somewhere, apparently with three hoses hooked to it (intuitive, ain't it?). I looked in some of the online catalogs for Vette parts and didn't see it.

Thanks!
Blaine

It looks like a slightly chewed up Vacuum Check Valve to me. Here's what a fresh one looks like...

-Mac

_Images%5CBlobs%5CM-3914.jpg

Yep,The Mountie got it!~!!:thumb

Bout $6.00 at Advance or Auto Zone in the HELP section!~!! :w

:thumb

Yep,The Mountie got it!~!!:thumb

Bout $6.00 at Advance or Auto Zone in the HELP section!~!! :w

:thumb

I was using my detective skills since I haven't owned anything as new and fancy as a C4 yet... :chuckle

-Mac

This is were it goes. This is the right side of engine. If you are having cruise problems or heater problems that is the reason.

Awesome. Thanks to everyone that helped with this.

I took off the fuel rail cover, and found this:

IMG_1426.jpg

The Vette Magazine folks took a picture of the same area, and it looked like this:

vemp_1007_06+c4_corvette_cruise_control_repair+.jpg

I'm not having any cruise control or AC/heater control issues, so this version of the vacuum check valve, or bypass of it, must be working OK. I'm not a fan of fixing things that aren't broken, so I'm curious to know if installing a new original style vacuum check valve would actually be of any benefit.

Thanks again, always great to have the help of our great community.

Blaine

I don't know what is going on with your car but that picture of what you have is on the opposite side of the engine. That vacuum source should be for the EGR solonoid valve at least it is on my 93.

On taking a second look at your situp I think that check valve is on the vacuum line that was added to the opti on later years to remove the mositure problem with the opti. Take the cover off the other side and I think you will find a new check valve there. The reason I think that is your cruise and heater are working. I would guess that someone has replaced that valve and laid the old one on the engine were it found a place to rest until you found it.

Take the cover off the other side and I think you will find a new check valve there. The reason I think that is your cruise and heater are working. I would guess that someone has replaced that valve and laid the old one on the engine were it found a place to rest until you found it.

Found it. It was under the other fuel rail cover. Looks like the old one was never thrown away and just took the leap out of the car when I opened the hood.

photo.jpg

Thanks to everyone for your help. Another mystery about my Vette solved!

- Blaine

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom