Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Paint Progress Pics 71 Convertible

wow !!!!. I really like your car. the blue is very very nice !!!. I love what you did to your car. very nice restoration. Must of cost you a fortune !!!

Exellent job man !!!

Just a little teaser. It comes home tomorrow night!

1971%20Corvette%20Paint%20VII-21.jpg

Damn, does that look nice!

That is gorgeous! I cant wait to see it out in the sun.

I'm guessing you need to edit your vett info from gray to blue now. :cool

Prettiest Steel Cities Gray I ever did done seen! :gap:L
:upthumbs

Thanks. I'll edit my specs when I actually get her home. Don't get me started but to sum things up it wasn't ready tonight. :mad There's is a small spot that needed touch up when they sprayed her. I've pointed it out dozens of times. Sure enough tonight when I got there they were still working on fixing it.

I'm holding my breath. If they can't fix it they're going to have to respray it.

For those that want more pics you can go to http://mysite.verizon.net/whiplash71 There are three or four more current pics there.

Keep your fingers crossed for me. I'm hoping it will be ready by the end of the week.

There's is a small spot that needed touch up when they sprayed her. I've pointed it out dozens of times. Sure enough tonight when I got there they were still working on fixing it.
Don't worry...you're not the only one who's experienced this. I went through the same thing. For what we pay to get our cars painted, we damn well expect a concours job! Hang in there! :w

Well good news today. They fixed the spot and you can't find it so they did it right. I looked at it from every angle and distance and the spot is just not there. I'm pretty pleased. Their paint guy has skills.

Supposed to bring it home tomorrow night. New pics to come soon after she gets home. :D

Good news bad news. Car is back home. Bad news the nut on the distributor hold down backed off during the last few months of starting and stopping and actually snapped off the stud. Distributor popped up, timing all goofed, all happened as they started it to put it on the trailer. It was running fine the day before.

Got the distributor back in correctly, replaced the stud and bought a different hold down bracket. Car starts but won't stay running. Plugs are probably very fouled. To add insult to injury there wasn't that much gas in it when I sent it there. In addition it seems that something has gotten into the gas tank. I'm not sure if there is an inch of water on top of a half inch of buttery gas or if something else got in there. I'm praying it's water on top of gas and that the car is ticked off because it's sucking gas and water. I'm draining the tank tomorrow, flushing the lines, and draining the carb. Gonna put fresh gas and plugs in and pray the car starts and stays running.

I think that whatever got in there did so because they rinsed the car many times and the boot around the gas tank filler neck wasn't draining fast enough. The water gets up to the top edge of the gas cap. I've got one of those locking chrome caps. There's a cork gasket but I doubt it's water proof if completely submerged. I got a song and dance from the paint guy about what was in the tank. I didn't have time to fight with him because I found out I'm moving and I just need to get the car back. I'm praying the gunk in the tank is not paint stripper.

I'm pretty hot under the collar now. I hope it all works out tomorrow. I've only got the day to get this right.

Better news today. After 2 days of getting the house ready to sell I got around to the car tonight.

Drained the tank bone dry, flushed the lines, drained the carb, reset carb to base line. I have no idea what was in the tank. There was about 3 gallons total in the tank. About half was gas and the other half I have no idea. It's clear on the top, then a "buttery layer" and I don't know what the bottom looks like (didn't have a glass jar). The gas in the carb looked like salad dressing.

Put it all back together and put 5 fresh gallons of high test in. Pointed the distributor about where I think it belongs. Fired her up and hooray! It started and stayed idling. That was it for tonight. Gotta check the plugs and set the timing. The good news is it will run well enough to get on the truck when we move. I won't be able to work on it for more than a few hours before we have to pack up and go.

I'll try to post the final picks in the next couple of weeks when I get a chance to sit down for more than 5 minutes.

Send him a bill!
Time is money.....

Glad you got it going......

Got the timing set a little better this morning. Was able to take her for a ride then washed her down and covered her up. Won't be playing with the 71 for a few more weeks now. But the good news is that it runs good enough to bring it in for her dyno tune. I'll post a couple of pics in the next few days.

getting the house ready to sell

WOW....now that's an expensive paint job.......sell the house to paint the car......that's dedication to Corvettes......

:upthumbs

Was able to take her for a ride then washed her down and covered her up.
Hopefully they told you not to use any soap on the car for the next 90 days and to not cover the car. If you must use a cover, make it the lightest, most breathable cover you can get.
Also, be sure to check the springy hood bumpers at the corners closest to the windshield. If they are sitting rather tight on the hood, it'll leave a permanent impression in the paint while it's curing. Ask me how I know... ;squint:

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom