Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

POLL: C3 True Dual Exhaust

Does a C3 true dual exhaust have catalytic converters?

• YES

Votes: 16 9.5%
  • NO

Votes: 106 62.7%
  • EITHER WAY

Votes: 47 27.8%

• Total voters
Here in Virginia, all smog equipment is required to be installed as when it left the factory, just in order to pass the Safety inspection!

After 25 years, it doesn't have to work, but it still has to be there! Makes sense, right???????????

When my car fails this year, for the last time, I'm thinking about tru-duals with dual hi-flow cats anyway.

Steve :w

Same here in Portland OR. Funny thing, when I bought the car, it had all the A.I.R. and smog crap on it...I didn't pass DEQ (emissions). I took it to my mechanic, put new street cam, edelbrock performer intake, edelbrock 600cfm carb & new 2 to 1 exhaust to a single (caugh caugh free flow cat) with magnaflow 40's off of the Y pipe. Only THEN did I pass.

Go figure...I too am going to say "f&*k it" and just put straight duals off of headers. While putting the shell of the cats around the pipes just for "show" in order to just pass emissions.

Installed a nice set of headers with true dual chambered exhaust. NO CATS! Best exhaust I have experienced so far.

I just noticed this thread has been running for damn near 4 years and the thread starter has been banned.......

I am running true 2-1/2" duals out of long tube headers thru 2-1/2" Walker welded DynoMax straight thru mufflers on my '78 and it sounds KILLER!!! I am also running Tennessee permanent antique tags and no longer subject to inspection.

BTW..... That custom welded exhaust looks super....

Dave

;shrug ;shrug ;shrug

I wanted to get your opinion.

Does a true dual exhuast have catalytic converters or not?

JASON *** BRAND NEW MAGNECOR WIRES FOR SALE!!! *** 1979 L-82

;shrug ;shrug ;shrug

In my opinion a true dual exhaust has two of everything in the exhaust system from the manifolds or headers, to the catalytic converters, mufflers, and piping systems to connect all of the components together (headers to converters to mufflers). Dual to me means two of something, what ever it is that is being discussed. Just besause today's laws and regulatioins require certain components to hopefully protect us and the environment doesn't change the name of what ever it is.

http://www.yourdictionary.com/ahd/d/d0408200.html

Now on the other hand. I would say that an exhaust system that has two mufflers, but only one converter and one piping system is not a true dual exhaust. Such as the 2000 Monte Carlo SS that I also have. There is only 1 converter, one pipe connected to that converter. The pipe spilits just in front of the dual mufflers. There prbably is some advantage to having dual mufflers, how much of one I don't have a clue. I would guess that it probably isn't that great because prior to the dual mufflers, because after leaving the manifolds and before entering the mufflers all of the exhaust has to pass through one system.

I realize that opinions are like a$$holes. We all have one and they all stink.

Dual Update

Hello,
I have removed the shorty headers and put Stans Tri-Y headers, true dual 3" exhaust to MagnaFlow 40's. WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Why didn't I do this when I first bought the car!?!?!

That was THEE BEST ENGINE MOD I could have ever done. Plus, not only has HP shot waaaaay the heck up, the sound is Purrrrrrrfect!

Hello,
I have removed the shorty headers and put Stans Tri-Y headers, true dual 3" exhaust to MagnaFlow 40's. WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
That was THEE BEST ENGINE MOD I could have ever done. Plus, not only has HP shot waaaaay the heck up, the sound is Purrrrrrrfect!
What engine do you have? Or is it the stock engine with this being your only mod?

Have you dynoed the car to know if you've actually gained HP?
3" exhaust may have given you HP, but at the expense of torque...
:confused

Yesseree I did. You may remember last year I posted the thread regarding the anemic HP ratings I did at our local Club Dyno Day. At that time my Vette had a slight cam, new edelbrock Performer intake & 600 cfm carb combo, shorty stock headers. The car is an automatic, AC, PS & PB and kicked out a weinie 182hp at the wheel.

Now, with the Stans Tri-Y Headers and 3" exhaust, no AC (removed) the car punched out 243HP AT THE WHEEL. So, to answer your question, hell yeah there was a huge increase in HP:beer. All of my prior mods were great but they couldn't breathe.

I should also mention that I had the car professionally dyno tuned there too.

The car is an automatic, AC, PS & PB and kicked out a weinie 182hp at the wheel.
Now, with the Stans Tri-Y Headers and 3" exhaust, no AC (removed) the car punched out 243HP AT THE WHEEL. So, to answer your question, hell yeah there was a huge increase in HP. All of my prior mods were great but they couldn't breathe.
Wow, 60HP...not bad at all! What were the torque numbers before/after? Did the tuner rejet your carb?

I don't remember the torque numbers but it was low like the HP. It really pointed out how neccessary it is to have all of the aftermarket doo-dads "Match up" correctly. With the slight aftermarket cam, performer intake & performer carb going through the crappy@ssed shorty headers then into a Y pipe & into single cat, then off to another Y pipe for the old exhaust muffler I was basically just shooting my own foot. The top-end aftermarket stuff was being rendered useless because of the tight exhaust.
It was amazing to "open" up the car, intake & cam by having the big Stans Tri-Y headers.
Oh, yes...They also rejetted the carb. It was too rich on the primaries and waaay the hell to lean on the secondaries.

All I needed to do was let the whole d@mn thing breathe. Funny thing, my MPG hasn't really been too badly affected.
I went from avg of 16mpg to around 13.9-14.5.

PLUS...It sounds like a vette again!:cool

All I needed to do was let the whole d@mn thing breathe.
It's been said around here before...an engine is just a big air pump. Air In = Air Out. The farther out of balance that equation is, the less efficient the engine becomes.
:upthumbs

That's a story worth repeating!!!! Put a 700-R4 with a lockup converter behind the flywheel and your hwy mileage will likely jump to 20 MPG... mine did...

Dave

Heated O2 Sensor

Heated O2 sensor AC DELCO #AFS-74

I have a long write up I found on a search for installing a heated O2 sensor; PM me and I will send it to you.

;shrug ;shrug ;shrug

I wanted to get your opinion.

Does a true dual exhuast have catalytic converters or not?

JASON *** BRAND NEW MAGNECOR WIRES FOR SALE!!! *** 1979 L-82

;shrug ;shrug ;shrug

If not a true dual exhaust with catalytic converters; then what kind of exhaust system is it? If there is two of everything from the manifolds/headers to the tip of of the exhaust pipes after the mufflers it has to be dual, no questions asked. Note in the above comments all components mentioned are plural meaning more than one. Dual means two of something, whatever it is being discussed. Just because the componets required in an exhaust system change over time doesn't change the name of it, only the quantity of the components do

I was always told there is no such thing as a stupid question, but I guess there is a first time for everything. This is another one of those items that I cannot believe is still being discussed.

I was always told there is no such thing as a stupid question, but I guess there is a first time for everything. This is another one of those items that I cannot believe is still being discussed.
Look at the date on the posts. There really hasn't been any "question" since 2005 and prior. The thread has more or less gone into it's own talk of dual setups that people have, and not the original topic of "What is a dual setup". So to see this thread continuing isn't all that unusual.

If you want to see a long winded thread, pop over to The Edge and look at the "Dozens more killed by liberals" or "(No longer) Suppressed info on Global Warming". THOSE are long-winded threads. :L

Stupid Question?!
I am new to this forum and found this thread rather informative; Exhaust is always a hot topic on these forums and some of the best postings need to be brought back to life once in a while!
I guess some people will not bother asking a question because someone may thinks it is stupid.... Kind if like the CF forum, to much attitude and not enough help especially for the new and/or not to knowledgeable vette owner.
Someone in this thread did ask the part number for a heated O2 sensor which
I had; I'm sure someone here could use that info. right?
Isn't it all about helping each other out?!
;shrug

Stupid Question?! I guess some people will not bother asking a question because someone may thinks it is stupid.... Kind if like the CF forum, to much attitude and not enough help especially for the new and/or not to knowledgeable vette owner.
Now calm down, Phill...
Based on what Victory Red C6 quoted as well as what he said himself, I don't think his comment was directed towards you.
It's all good.
As for there not being enough helpful info or people here as compared to other Corvette forums...you shouldn't judge the CAC based on one person's post. The CAC is the friendliest and most informative site out there. There's very little attitude around here. Yes, you'll find some if you look hard enough or invite it. Out of the thousands of members here at the CAC, I can count on my fingers the number of 'rough' members. And I'd still have fingers left over when I'm done counting. That means less than .1% of our community. That's a pretty good number.

So sit back, relax, and enjoy yourself! :upthumbs
(You might want to avoid The Edge sub-forum though.)

Now calm down, Phill...
Based on what Victory Red C6 quoted as well as what he said himself, I don't think his comment was directed towards you.
It's all good.
As for there not being enough helpful info or people here as compared to other Corvette forums...you shouldn't judge the CAC based on one person's post. The CAC is the friendliest and most informative site out there. There's very little attitude around here. Yes, you'll find some if you look hard enough or invite it. Out of the thousands of members here at the CAC, I can count on my fingers the number of 'rough' members. And I'd still have fingers left over when I'm done counting. That means less than .1% of our community. That's a pretty good number.

So sit back, relax, and enjoy yourself! :upthumbs
(You might want to avoid The Edge sub-forum though.)

Thanks, I will keep this in mind!

Header's,dual exhaust,dual mufflers,and no cat's,the only way to go if your state smog law's will allow it :D

BTW: new guy here,just looking for more info. :beer

Kevin

IT'S STILL ALIVE!!!

Holy Cow! This thread refuses to die!:boogie

Awesome.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom