Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

POLL: C3 True Dual Exhaust

Does a C3 true dual exhaust have catalytic converters?

• YES

Votes: 16 9.5%
  • NO

Votes: 106 62.7%
  • EITHER WAY

Votes: 47 27.8%

• Total voters
I voted no, because of the "true" in the title.
As has been said, all corvettes have 2 mufflers and 2 tail pipes, so they are all dual exhaust.

"True" has to have something different than stock, or else the question is pointless.

"True" Dual Exhaust to me means individual exaust tubes from the front all the way to the rear. One for the left side of the motor and one for the right side of the motor. If they connect midway into a single tube and then into two again at the rear then that would not be "True" Dual Exhaust with or without Cats...

Hello,
I have removed the shorty headers and put Stans Tri-Y headers, true dual 3" exhaust to MagnaFlow 40's. WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Why didn't I do this when I first bought the car!?!?!

Tri-Ys ARE sweat. Usually they are good at producing torque. BUT I've not found any standard Tri-Ys that are supposed to fit in a C3. So reading this post I google up these headers by 'Stan' - very very cool info - I've always wanted to drop some Tri-Ys in a Corvette. Thanks for sharing, this is a great discovery for me on an engine build-up project.

---

'Historical' Footnotes...

To the guy whose wife smells exhaust: Exhaust leak?

Interesting that many posted '71 as the beginning of 'smog' generically - actually smog equipment goes back to '66 or so depending on options and state doesn't it? And while compression started dropping around '71 - all those motors are happy on modern pump gas and they started getting hardened valve seats around then too I believe.

If they connect midway into a single tube and then into two again at the rear then that would not be "True" Dual Exhaust with or without Cats...
What about if there's a balance tube between 'em? :D

EVO, where you been? I was thinking about this question when I made my comment. A balance tube would be fine. Still a True Dual Exhaust configuration as long as you still have seperate individual tubes from front to back, right?

EVO, where you been? I was thinking about this question when I made my comment. A balance tube would be fine. Still a True Dual Exhaust configuration as long as you still have seperate individual tubes from front to back, right?
Where I been??? ...Been busy planning CruiseFest '08! :D:D

As for being 'right'? ;shrug I'm not the final say. Using the word "true" obviously brings in some definite constraints to the term. I'd say TRUE 'true' is straight back with no meeting. And I only say that because an H-pipe ("balance tube") isn't really all that different than an X-pipe since the X is essentially an H with the cross pipe having an effective length of zero. And if that's the case, then it's not too much different than a front and rear Y-pipe setup.

OK...so what am I saying? I guess it's that an H-pipe is an X-pipe that has been stretched horizontally and a front/rear Y-setup is an X that's been stretched vertically. So is that "true" dual? Mmmm....it's gray. When I rationalize it like I just did, to me the answer seems like a 'no'. But I really hadn't analyzed it that that much in the past. :L

How about this..."Get whatcha like and call it whatever the hell you want. Just don't call it a Ford!" :upthumbs :L

Where I been??? ...Been busy planning CruiseFest '08! :D:D

As for being 'right'? ;shrug I'm not the final say. Using the word "true" obviously brings in some definite constraints to the term. I'd say TRUE 'true' is straight back with no meeting. And I only say that because an H-pipe ("balance tube") isn't really all that different than an X-pipe since the X is essentially an H with the cross pipe having an effective length of zero. And if that's the case, then it's not too much different than a front and rear Y-pipe setup.

OK...so what am I saying? I guess it's that an H-pipe is an X-pipe that has been stretched horizontally and a front/rear Y-setup is an X that's been stretched vertically. So is that "true" dual? Mmmm....it's gray. When I rationalize it like I just did, to me the answer seems like a 'no'. But I really hadn't analyzed it that that much in the past. :L

How about this..."Get whatcha like and call it whatever the hell you want. Just don't call it a Ford!" :upthumbs :L

Hey Dude... your old post regarding balance tubes is what convinced me to include them. I installed them in my Camaro with chambered tubes... awesome - good low end response and no pops.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom