Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Shiny Wheel

Poodle said:
Glensgauges & Shaggyvette: Thanks so much for the ideas. I would definitely chrome rather than spend the same to refinish! I argued that I had heard it was under $100 each to refinish but they were firm. I got the aluminum because I'd always heard chrome pits very fast.

I found them used because I have wanted to go up in size but so far haven't found anyone willing to put them on and risk destroying something, even the vette shop hasn't done it before. So I figured I would at least get the color switched out inexpensively until then.

I will do that and try the PPC. I can always put the clearcoat back on later if it looks like I need it. The weather is not consistent even within one day/hour here so I'm not sure how they will react without it. (Someone said they will turn dark very quickly without the clearcoat.) Now I have to wait for a day that isn't 99% humidity.

Thanks & hugs to both of you!

When you get finished with yours , mine could use a fresh coat of polish.:L

LOL! The joy of working on any Corvette!! I could be tempted. I still want a black '69 one day.

Poodle said:
Glensgauges & Shaggyvette: Thanks so much for the ideas. I would definitely chrome rather than spend the same to refinish! I argued that I had heard it was under $100 each to refinish but they were firm. I got the aluminum because I'd always heard chrome pits very fast.
My wheels were done 4+ years-ago, and they haven't pitted at-all, using nothing but water in them when they are cooled-off.
:)

I put a set of chrome-plated Cragar STREET-STAR wheels on my open car-trailer in mid-'03, which pitted, sitting outside in the Taxylvaniastan weather for 3 years:
using nothing but 'on-sale' chrome-polish and Mothers/Foose 'PowerBall', they cleaned-up in less than an hour, total.
:upthumbs

Poodle said:
..... hugs to both of you!
ahhhhh......... I ain't drinkin' from that vat of Kool-aid..... :nono

C3RVETTE: What are you psychic?? I couldn't find where to order, only descriptions. Had trouble with Amazon site so I ordered from the distributor and saved postage. I love that it "melts oxidation" in seconds.
http://www.realtruck.com/productline/20/1/1/ppc_easy_aluminum_polish.html

Found this for clearcoat: http://www.eastwoodco.com/jump.jsp?itemID=415&itemType=PRODUCT I decided to clearcoat the inside and leave the front alone. I can always polish and clearcoat the fronts later if I have trouble. Thanks for the help.

Glensgages: I can't seem to find anyone who sells a fuzzy ball polish attachment for drill. They all know what I mean but not where to buy one. Sears never heard of it. Where did you find one??

Not sure what you allude to with the Kool-aid reference.

Poodle said:
I can't seem to find anyone who sells a fuzzy ball polish attachment for drill. They all know what I mean but not where to buy one. Sears never heard of it. Where did you find one??
I got mine at a local ADVANCE AUTO PARTS, for approx $20, and it would be well-worth it for polishing wheels.
:upthumbs

Poodle said:
..... just-kidding, in-regards to your previous 'HUGS'-comment, assuming you are a guy:
:beer
if you are female, we can negotiate! :BOW

Poodle said:
C3RVETTE: What are you psychic?? I couldn't find where to order, only descriptions. Had trouble with Amazon site so I ordered from the distributor and saved postage. I love that it "melts oxidation" in seconds.
http://www.realtruck.com/productline/20/1/1/ppc_easy_aluminum_polish.html

Found this for clearcoat: http://www.eastwoodco.com/jump.jsp?itemID=415&itemType=PRODUCT I decided to clearcoat the inside and leave the front alone. I can always polish and clearcoat the fronts later if I have trouble. Thanks for the help.

Glensgages: I can't seem to find anyone who sells a fuzzy ball polish attachment for drill. They all know what I mean but not where to buy one. Sears never heard of it. Where did you find one??

Mothers sells the Powerball,& Powerball Mini.You can get them at Walmart.Also Flitz has there own version. POODLE- I've had trouble ordering from Amazon before also,so I may use your link instead! Any difference in pricing?...Havent looked yet...

Just looking at the original date of this thread, it got me thinking. What's the longest running thread on this site?

There is a product called Zoop Seal.And it's supposed to not only shine the wheels but a guy on another site used it and 3 yrs later they still looked new.The product says 5 yrs.It was orignaly made for motorcycles.It ain't cheap but I guess it works.I hate alum. Wheels.I've got an 82CE and I'll more than llikley brake down and get some.Google Zoop Seal they do have a web site.Hey if they still look new after three yrs?Might be worth it huh?

zgator said:
There is a product called Zoop Seal.And it's supposed to not only shine the wheels but a guy on another site used it and 3 yrs later they still looked new.The product says 5 yrs.It was orignaly made for motorcycles.It ain't cheap but I guess it works.I hate alum. Wheels.I've got an 82CE and I'll more than llikley brake down and get some.Google Zoop Seal they do have a web site.Hey if they still look new after three yrs?Might be worth it huh?
Yeah,i got some & wished I'd used it on my wheels and valve covers,before I installed them.I got another identical set of flamed covers I'm using it on,& replace my 'stained' ones.

a&a body&paint has a new phone # or is out of business.(573)696-0337 is a home # and the person that answered said she gets calls for them all the time. dosen't know new #.tried whitepages & yellowpages.com, nothing!
Shelly

i didn't see the pics. i'm a computer dummmmy! help.Shelly

Shelly,

I doubt your computer skills - or lack thereof ;) - is the problem. The original post in this thread was dated in 2001. It's likely that the original photos have long since been deleted.

:w Jane Ann

I can't see any pics :confused

Anyone have an update to this post concerning the best polish for aluminum rims?

Most of the images/links/phone numbers are no longer working as this is was originally an much older post. PPC? Not finding it on the web.

I don't mind using elbow grease and sandpaper...just wondering the best polish you've had good results with. Zoop Seal?

My '82's dull rims could use any advise!

Thanks!

-Moo ;)

Anyone have an update to this post concerning the best polish for aluminum rims?

Most of the images/links/phone numbers are no longer working as this is was originally an much older post. PPC? Not finding it on the web.

I don't mind using elbow grease and sandpaper...just wondering the best polish you've had good results with. Zoop Seal?

My '82's dull rims could use any advise!

Thanks!

-Moo ;)
ZoopSeal is NOT a polish.Its a sealer you use after you figure out how to polish aluminum rims the best way

I just use a power ball on my drill and mothers. Those chrome replacements sure look nicer everyday though

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom