Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

started out as a wide body conversion ended up total redo

so this week has not been as productive as it was planned out in my mind... sounds like most of the dates i went on when i was single :rofl: so today i put the valves and springs back in the heads, painted them and got them mounted.

i started to work on my electric water pump but the freeze plug they sent dropped right through the hole... i'm thinking they sent the wrong one. so i ran up to the parts store and bought a new one but just ran out of time to get it put together and mounted. so thats all i accomplished today :( well we did clean up a bit in the barn and move my buddies project over so he can start cleaning and painting his body.

wont get much done tomorrow... wife has the day off from work and she will want to do that whole family thing... woman psshhh :toetap: :rofl:

well the trans is cleaned up. tomorrow i'm going to put the shift kit in and hopefully get started on porting the intake. i still need to order my torque converter as well.

OK this went bad. every electrical connection broke when unplugging it. with out barely touching the clip it pretty much just crumbled. then the big spring was broken when i pulled off the solenoid thingy thing. i looked on line and i cant find that spring anywhere. I'll see if there is any trans shops in my area tomorrow. also wouldn't mind replacing the wiring in the trans since all the clips broke... all in all.... i don't like doing shift kits :mad: today was a bad day:ack:

I wonder why all the clips were deteriorated? That's kinda bizarre!!

Mac

I wonder why all the clips were deteriorated? That's kinda bizarre!!

Mac

I wonder if maybe the trans had been over heated severly before. I dont have a history on this car. Bought it from a dealership and it was "mantained and in perfect condition" lolol rrriiiggghhhttttt lol oh well i will make it right.

I wonder if maybe the trans had been over heated severly before. I dont have a history on this car. Bought it from a dealership and it was "mantained and in perfect condition" lolol rrriiiggghhhttttt lol oh well i will make it right.
Literally cooked the connectors? There should be signs of that kind of overheating though.

Mac

Maybe rebuilt without replacing all neccisary part.. I dont know just kinda odd to be that brittle

What did you clean the tranny with? Maybe that made the connectors brittle.

I didn't clean the underside. So no cleaner has touched those clips. I ordered a new wire harness for the trans.

so in this picture you can see the trans fluid collecting around the big circle part? its not from the front seal. its coming from the bigger diameter. whats behind that? is there a gasket i can replace there? i'm kinda of considering attempting rebuilding it myself... any thoughts on doing a home rebuild on a 4l60e?

so i bought these rims from "Replica wheels" and i hate that company.... anyone want to buy these from me. they are 9.5x17 front and 10.5x18 rear. they sent me the rims, i paid for them, one of the wheels is bad. it needs 9.5 ounces to balance out. they want me to sign a warranty form that i have to put my credit card number on and agree to terms that basically says they are not responsible for anything and if they deem the rim passable "at there facility" then i get charged for all the shipping and the price of a new rim. i have all the back and fourth's from the company and they are not budging. apparently when you buy rims you need to have the place installing the tires do a bare rim balance and total runout before they mount the tires cuz if they fail and after the tire is on and get damaged during taking the tire back off well that voids the warranty... this place is a joke. anyway these rims have zero scratches, zero dings, zero visual defects. one rear tire has a wobble to it. you could order one new tire from them or balance it out and have a tire that wobbles a bit. this company is a sham. anyway $400 plus shipping and there yours. i'm going to let everyone know on all the auto forums i'm a member of what a crock these guys are. also going to file a complaint with the better business bureau

so i did a little shopping today :rock: craigslist find. 95 firebird with a lt4 383 stroker and brand new trans with a five year warranty still on it. the price, $1250 :thumbs: i also picked up an lq9 motor for $430.

the trans is going in my vette, the 383 is going in my kit car after i build it up a bit. the lq9 is going in the second kit car with twin turbos.

also had some more fun parts come.
2500 to 2800 stall from phoenix transmissions.
steel braided brake lines
and i also put the valvtrain in the motor and finally got the oil pan on. making progress but slow.

so stupidest questions of the day... how do you set "self adjusting rocker arms" ?

Did you find a tuner??? I have some suggestions.

LT1 PCM Tuning - Welcome!
  • Solomon has a good reputation over at ThirdGen.Org.
  • I would use him if it were me. I've spoken with him before- he's a really sharp guy.
  • He can send you an image or you can send him your PCM. :thumb

Home | PCM for Less
  • Alvin is also pretty good too
  • I have used his services before- I was very happy with a tune he did for a non-OEM TPI and cam combo

Did you find a tuner??? I have some suggestions.

LT1 PCM Tuning - Welcome!
  • Solomon has a good reputation over at ThirdGen.Org.
  • I would use him if it were me. I've spoken with him before- he's a really sharp guy.
  • He can send you an image or you can send him your PCM. :thumb

Home | PCM for Less
  • Alvin is also pretty good too
  • I have used his services before- I was very happy with a tune he did for a non-OEM TPI and cam combo

Thank you i will give them a call.

Have you thought about tuning it yourself?

I have learned a lot over the last 10 months- from lots of folks from all over the net to get my 82 where I want it. I could never get out of it what I have with just a mail order tune.

Being brutally honest... I'm not the poster child for tuning :chuckle. I have made a lot of mistakes and tried a lot of stuff that didn't work and operated under a lot of ideas that didn't hold up. But none of them were catastrophic- it just ran sub-optimal until I worked whatever it was out.

But I will tell you this... getting my '82 to run like a rabid shark to 5,400rpm at WOT, to hit 60mph on the factory rear end- from a rolling start in a little over 5 seconds, on a cam with .050" more than stock not normally used on a TBI motor... has been very rewarding.

:lou

I :woot:tuning! It has been crazy fun!

Have you thought about tuning it yourself?

I have learned a lot over the last 10 months- from lots of folks from all over the net to get my 82 where I want it. I could never get out of it what I have with just a mail order tune.

Being brutally honest... I'm not the poster child for tuning :chuckle. I have made a lot of mistakes and tried a lot of stuff that didn't work and operated under a lot of ideas that didn't hold up. But none of them were catastrophic- it just ran sub-optimal until I worked whatever it was out.

But I will tell you this... getting my '82 to run like a rabid shark to 5,400rpm at WOT, to hit 60mph on the factory rear end- from a rolling start in a little over 5 seconds, on a cam with .050" more than stock not normally used on a TBI motor... has been very rewarding.

:lou

I :woot:tuning! It has been crazy fun!

Yes i am considering it. I will see where i am at that time. My kit car build is getting going so to be honest im kind of trying to hurry the vette along. We'll see

so i took the day off from work today to have some me time in the barn. was able to get the valve train snugged down, intake gasket matched (nothing special just light porting) , water pump on and balancer.

i also tore into that transmission today ..... ya i just don't feel comfortable putting this back in the car. it had 130k miles on it and everything i touch is literally crumbling. from plastic clips to gaskets, it just looks like its been overheated pretty bad or something. it drove fine but with the added hp, different gears and the wider tires it seems like a recipe for failure. so .... off to the trans shop this week :( anyone know of a TRUSTWORTHY builder in the thumb of Michigan area?

wow it seems like my build has come to a stand still with how slow its going now :( everytime i get out there in the barn i'm spending all my time cleaning up little parts *sigh* anyway did some small stuff today.

does anyone have the part numbers for the sensor that goes in the first picture? pretty sure its the oil pressure but i cant find it online to order it ... i lost mine lolol

hope these pics aren't to boring, just keeping the thread thorough ;)

oh yes... ail foil lol

fuel rails are black. another question... would i see any performance gains from upgrading the injectors to bigger size with the mods i've done?

Little parts need love too. :D

Mac

fuel rails are black. another question... would i see any performance gains from upgrading the injectors to bigger size with the mods i've done?

I think you'll dump more fuel across the OEM fuel map with larger injectors... will it line up in terms of what you need at a given KPA & RPM relative to what your cam and heads need where it is different from the LT1 profile?

Maybe... and maybe not.

An LT1 runs between 41-47psi of pressure from what I have read. If you are running 24lb OE-ish injectors, then you should be able to support 361hp @ 85% duty cycle on the injectors. I'm using Dynamic EFI's Base Pulse Constant (BPC) Utility to come up with this. It calculates supported HP if you supply fuel pressure, injector size, and the number of injectors.

With the LT4 Hot Cam (I think that was what you posted a P/N for in this thread)... many folks seem to run between 380 (not tuned) and 410-ish (tuned) HP from what I have read (ref. other boards such as LS1/LT1).

So, I think you would likely need more injector- or more fuel pressure.

28lb injectors would be fine at 47psi to feed approximately 440hp (per EBL BPC Utility). 24lb injectors would need 60psi to feed 426 (per EBL BPC Utility).

I can hear xfirez51 in my head saying this after my cam and intake swap changes...
xfirez51 said:
What have you done about re calibrating the tune?

But yeah.. you know that you'll need a custom tune to really get it all to work the way you want it to work together.

Hope the calculations above help ya' out in terms of deciding what you want to do next.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom