Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

To purchase extended warranty or not.

Hawksnest

Corvette
2014 Z51 Coupe
Just purchased my first Vette a 2014 Z51 LT1 coupe with 13K miles and 2 previous owners. Any thoughts on wether to purchase a bumper to bumper (I think as I have not read the fine print yet only spoken on the phone to a Chevy dealership). If I do it I would go w/ a 5year/40K plan for $2500 one time fee with no deductible if the work is performed at the local dealership (otherwise- $100.) The factory bumper to bumper has expired and the power train warranty is getting to the end.

Last edited:
Congratulations and welcome to the Corvette Action Center! :beer

Just purchased my first Vette a 2014 Z51 LT1 coupe with 13K miles and 2 previous owners. Any thoughts on wether to purchase a bumper to bumper (I think as I have not read the fine print yet only spoken on the phone to a Chevy dealership). If I do it I would go w/ a 5year/40K plan for $2500 one time fee with no deductible if the work is performed at the local dealership (otherwise- $100.) The factory bumper to bumper has expired and the power train warranty is getting to the end.[/QUOTE

Welcome to the CAC!

And, personally, I'd buy the warranty. Well worth it if something fails, goes wrong. A caveat though, read it over very carefully. Whomever you're getting it from (dealer or other), go over it with them with a fine tooth comb.... Have them explain/define what is and isn't covered. Question them until you are satisfied that it actually covers what you want covered.

Did the carfax or equivalent show the maintenance history?

Welcome to the CAC! Used to I'd say to not buy the warranty as it was legalized gambling, they bet you won't have a claim and you bet you do. But I bought a low mileage Grand Sport 2 years back and I knew the history of the car. Long story short, at 34K the engine blew and it cost $8,800.00 for a crate motor so, I'd buy the warranty.

Extended warranty

Just purchased my first Vette a 2014 Z51 LT1 coupe with 13K miles and 2 previous owners. Any thoughts on wether to purchase a bumper to bumper (I think as I have not read the fine print yet only spoken on the phone to a Chevy dealership). If I do it I would go w/ a 5year/40K plan for $2500 one time fee with no deductible if the work is performed at the local dealership (otherwise- $100.) The factory bumper to bumper has expired and the power train warranty is getting to the end.[/QUOTE

Welcome to the CAC!

And, personally, I'd buy the warranty. Well worth it if something fails, goes wrong. A caveat though, read it over very carefully. Whomever you're getting it from (dealer or other), go over it with them with a fine tooth comb.... Have them explain/define what is and isn't covered. Question them until you are satisfied that it actually covers what you want covered.

Did the carfax or equivalent show the maintenance history?

Welcome to CAC!!!!
Enjoy!!!!!

Welcome to the CAC. Extended warranties are always a gamble...

Welcome..

I've won and lost with extended warranties..
I won big time with a 1990s full size Olds Aurora and saved about 5-6 hundred or so with my 2010 Chevy Sierra. To be fair, the Sierra's suspension repairs were more the product of NC and SC's roads than a fault of the truck. I lost on my Volvo XC-70 as all the repairs were covered under the factory warranty.
[FONT=&quot]After it ran out and 140K later; the car never needed a repair. [/FONT]
I lost on my C5 as the piddly little repairs were about 25% of the cost.

Long term, I've "won" more than I lost. As mentioned in another post earlier, you're betting it will break and they are betting it won't.

That being said I bought one for my GMC Canyon.. One additional item to check for who is authorized to fix the vehicle. The Canyon's allows any dealer or nationally certified mechanic to do the work. Same as every extended I've had, if I fixed it myself, they don't pay.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom