Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

New Project Starting Soon

I had a grilled cheese and tomato sandwich for lunch.

And what does that have to do with my upcoming project?

I have four 6" burrs coming from a vendor in China so it'll take a while before they arrive. But that's okay because it's still too darned hot to start this project. I think by mid October it'll be a lot cooler. My three 2-3/8" valve seat grinding stones arrived this morning so I now have everything I need to install the larger intake valves.

Mikey
Was the grilled cheese and tomato good?? What kind of cheese?

Usually when larger valves are installed; so are larger valve seat inserts.. It's a lot easier than grinding the smaller diameter between the seat and cylinder head runner to match the larger valve seat.
In forced induction it is called a forward facing step in the air passage.. AKA a restriction..

What? No bacon?? :ugh

Mac
:chuckle
mmmmmmhhh Grilled cheese.. MIne was a bacon/cheese on a pretzel bread thingy (Schinken Kaese Stange is what we call them) Never anything wrong with grilled cheese.. :chuckle
but i digest, err digress.. :rotfl

Maybe we can give TBTR his own forum to chat about stuff with himself? I am sure TBTR wants to provide genuine info and if such it could all be collected in one central spot.. We dont want to be like other sites and just ignore him, or ?? Reading the entries on other sites about/from him is rather telling, though..

But, this is about a future project of his involving some old machinery (I think, i may have misread something somewhere; it may even involve a piece of a Corvette, maybe).. :eyerole
-Stefan

Maybe we can give TBTR his own forum to chat about stuff with himself? I am sure TBTR wants to provide genuine info and if such it could all be collected in one central spot.. We dont want to be like other sites and just ignore him, or ?? Reading the entries on other sites about/from him is rather telling, though..

But, this is about a future project of his involving some old machinery (I think, i may have misread something somewhere; it may even involve a piece of a Corvette, maybe).. :eyerole
-Stefan

I was wondering the same thing. Isn't his own facebook page a good idea?

Greetings Peter

Verstuurd vanaf mijn GT-I9195 met Tapatalk

Mikey
Was the grilled cheese and tomato good?? What kind of cheese?

Sandwich was great. I had a slice of provolone although I considered swiss at one point but thought it might be too neutral. Tomato was homegrown beefsteak. Much smaller than usual due to the extreme drought we've had all summer. Just a dab of mayo. The bread was a home baked french roll, I'm trying out a different brand of yeast and this was the first batch.

What? No bacon?? :ugh

Mac
:chuckle

Shamefully, we are out and it's my own fault. I cure and smoke my own (I get the bellies at Lavergne Western Beef in Navan) and misjudged how much we had left in the freezer. Navan is a bit of a drive from here, but we were working at Beau's Oktoberfest in Vankleek Hill last weekend so made a detour on the way there. The new bacon is still a few weeks away from being ready. I did one belly with maple syrup from this year's harvest. Should be great!

Uhh, I guess this is sounding like a hijack. Sorry, back on topic. So, 'shipping stuff on eBay that goes missing'.

Carry on. :thumb

I got the three seat grinding stones cut with the angles needed; a 30 degree, a 45 degree, and a 60 degree and with faces wide enough to do what I need to do. Now I just need the 6" long carbide burrs and cooler weather and I'll dive into it. It has been hitting the mid 90's lately and that's just too darned HOT for me. I prefer the mid 70's and they should be coming along in another 2-3 weeks.

I have always used a Sioux air powered valve grinder motor so this 12,000 rpm electric motor will be new to me.

Sandwich was great. I had a slice of provolone although I considered swiss at one point but thought it might be too neutral. Tomato was homegrown beefsteak. Much smaller than usual due to the extreme drought we've had all summer. Just a dab of mayo. The bread was a home baked french roll, I'm trying out a different brand of yeast and this was the first batch.

Shamefully, we are out and it's my own fault. I cure and smoke my own (I get the bellies at Lavergne Western Beef in Navan) and misjudged how much we had left in the freezer. Navan is a bit of a drive from here, but we were working at Beau's Oktoberfest in Vankleek Hill last weekend so made a detour on the way there. The new bacon is still a few weeks away from being ready. I did one belly with maple syrup from this year's harvest. Should be great!

Uhh, I guess this is sounding like a hijack. Sorry, back on topic. So, 'shipping stuff on eBay that goes missing'.

Carry on. :thumb

Ambiguity rules dude.

As we have digressed..

For lunch today, Grilled Swiss cheese, fresh tomatoes, and fresh homemade bread. Wicked and fresh homemade bread is so much better than what we can buy..

Mikey: The drought destroyed our garden this year.

We get our apple wood smoked bacon from a neighbor, absolutely delicious..

TBTR:
As you're using the stock seats with larger valves. You have the 3 angles and a diameter which mates to the exhaust port. That diameter must be opened up.
PS: Grinding new valves is a waste of time. :chuckle

High Performance Low Performance Heads (huh?)

For high performance street use the best heads of all are the 1987 open chamber design with the large oval ports. The larger rectangular port heads are best for racing where the revs are kept VERY high but for street use the large oval port heads flow a LOT better because of a higher port velocity. My early 427" oval port heads will breathe a lot better with the larger valves. So I'll end up with "high performance low performance heads" (low performance heads with high performance valves).

So I'll end up with "high performance low performance heads" (low performance heads with high performance valves).

Glad you clarified that, for a moment there it sounded like you didn't know what you were talking about.

Scotty, beam me up.....

TBTR,
You'll need to "grind" the runners (in the head at the valve seat inserts) to match the larger valves also.

valve_seat_zpsbppvtr5z.jpg

The X of the valve seat insert and cylinder head must be equal.

The only way to really know the CFM at different valve lifts is a flow bench.

The only way to really know the CFM at different valve lifts is a flow bench.

Crap, it's always something with those damn C3's.

Now he'll have to find a used one of them things to buy.

Crap, it's always something with those damn C3's.

Now he'll have to find a used one of them things to buy.

I'm just trying to be helpful. Whether it is heard or not is another question. I'm being nice and past that I could careless...
As you know; flow benches apply to everything.. ;) Even my C5 heads. I have this little chart from the porter that says at .X" of lift flow is Y CFM etc..

I'm just trying to be helpful. Whether it is heard or not is another question. I'm being nice and past that I could careless...
As you know; flow benches apply to everything.. ;) Even my C5 heads. I have this little chart from the porter that says at .X" of lift flow is Y CFM etc..

My sarcasm may have got the better of me, no offense meant. :)

Exact Same Thing

When I was at the automotive machine shop a couple of days ago I was talking to the cylinder head man and he showed me a set of early closed chamber heads just like mine that have been opened up to accept the larger high performance valves just like mine. The heads and valves (Manley) have been sitting on the floor gathering dust for years and I'm wondering why? Someone started a project and didn't finish it? Ran out of money? Sold his car? Died?

My sarcasm may have got the better of me, no offense meant. :)

None taken.. :)

Measuring flow at different valve lifts was my lame attempt at getting TBTR to realize the heads and valve seat inserts need attention also..

When I was at the automotive machine shop a couple of days ago I was talking to the cylinder head man and he showed me a set of early closed chamber heads just like mine that have been opened up to accept the larger high performance valves just like mine. The heads and valves (Manley) have been sitting on the floor gathering dust for years and I'm wondering why? Someone started a project and didn't finish it? Ran out of money? Sold his car? Died?

I know this is quite a stretch of the imagination; however, did you consider asking him??

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom