Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

GM - Here is what we think of the License Plate Mount

Here is what we think of the C6 LP mount:

• It is hideous and can not be allowed to be placed into production

Votes: 311 62.2%
  • I like it. It blends with the aerodynamic flow of the C6

Votes: 16 3.2%
  • Who at GM was drunk when he approved this thing?

Votes: 166 33.2%
  • I love Vipers and / or Mustangs so I hope this LP mount makes it into production

Votes: 7 1.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
UPDATE:
Voting Update day 18:
872 "must not go into production" 98%
18 "like the design" 2%
17,245 views (includes this thread but not several other related threads)

... CorvetteForum locked the poll Sunday Night-day 6. Daily increases from day7 to day 12 came from the two other forums. CF moderators allowed a new poll with no pics or comments, beginning on day 13 voting resumed.

GM, your customers are reporting a very consistant 98% disapproval rating for the front mount bracket. The front plate is obviously a last minute tack on, or fix. It is apparent that GM failed to include the front plate requirment from 70% of the United States, into its C6 design from the beginning. Are there any other major oversights that had to be screwed into place at the last minute?

Taken from Digital Corvettes.com

http://www.digitalcorvettes.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=14954
SCOOP: C6 license plate changes.

Don't forget that you heard this on digitalcorvettes.com!

I asked Tom Peters while in Detroit what his reaction was to OUR reaction to the C6 plate location.

He said it really couldn't go any other place, if it blocked the air opening, that would "take away horsepower".

I asked about drilling 3 holes in the body, and that no one was really happy about that. Told him I wanted to get into the business of selling body colored plugs to jam in the holes if the plate bracket was removed. (he laughed)

He said they are reworking the plate design so no holes will need to be drilled.

So I said "so there will be a bracket from underneath or something" ?

He said "something like that" but there will be no holes drilled in the nose.

Conclusion: Plate location stays. No holes will be drilled in nose, possibly attached to a bracket from underneath in the air-opening area.

That's it folks.

UB2 SLOW said:
What site? I will go over there and :argue :SLAP :grinshot :bash :blow :Buttslap
Corvette Forum but they seem to have backed off. I think they will start up again when they read my next post - it is my next post here too.

Ugly news (Rain beat me to this):

A very reliable source at Digital Corvettes has spoken to Tom Peters about the front plate mount. Based on Peters' response it appears that GM will only respond to the easiest part of the problem to solve. It was inidcated by Peters that the plate mount will be redesigned to attach in a way that will not require drilling holes on the front of the front fascia. Some of the 872 voter might be less unhappy, but they were voting for: "The C6 License Plate Mount is horific and must not be put into production!" yet it appears that the look of this mount will go into production.

Although it is encouraging that this limited change is without question responding to forum polls and posts, I for one, still feel very betrayed by Peters's group. What a shame that we can not depend on the caretakers of our icon to do the right thing - fix this. They blew it on the original design and they are now blowing it on the fix. Since you are changing a simple little mount anyway, why not relocate it. Put it down on the lower edge of the grill, and to the right or left or something. Use your imagination and DESIGN something different.

Quick question,
Is the C6 a bottom feeder? Does it take the cooling air from below the bumper like all Vettes have since '68? If so, then the Tigershark grill is just for looks and a change there for the plate would not mess up the air flow for cooling. Was just wondering, anyone in the know?

tom...

PPPPPP.

I know that some states require a front plate, but putting it there on the nose will destroy the smooth lines. They should look at putting it to the side of the mouth, back against the grill work. That way they can also illuminate it from the top, so the cameras can get you coming and going.

I'm glad SC has only the rear plate.

Over at CF they are saying that Hill has confirmed that GM will only change the ugly plate mount to attach in a way that will not require drilling holes on the front of the front fascia.

Every owner in 35 states will be forced to pay $$$$ for this bracket and risk tickets if they choose not to attach this horrible looking mount. I can not put together words strong enough to communicate my disappointment in Mr. Hill and his group and GM. I was really looking forward to getting a C6. Buying a vette is like casting a $55k vote for the engineering team. I will agonize greatly over this. How can I support a regime that thumbs its nose to its customers? Mr. Hill, after driving vettes for nearly 30 years and lusting for them since I was eight, you actually have me hoping a vette does not sell well. Congratulations.

That "thing" alone would stop me from buying one!!

It just goes to show you how things have changed for the worse. Back in the 60's GM had car guys running their design and engineering departments. Today we have guys in suits with degrees (beancounters I think you'd call them) running around with their heads stuck up their a**. The real style and substance people have left and been replaced fluff and stuff. Off with their heads ..er ...no...off with the plate...yea, that's it.

65-StingRay said:
It just goes to show you how things have changed for the worse. Back in the 60's GM had car guys running their design and engineering departments. Today we have guys in suits with degrees (beancounters I think you'd call them) running around with their heads stuck up their a**. The real style and substance people have left and been replaced fluff and stuff. Off with their heads ..er ...no...off with the plate...yea, that's it.
Ahh the good ole days........

I think the new bracket will attach to the underside of the intake area and then bend at a 90 degree angle, upward. It will still look like crap... but no holes in the nose.

Geez, the darn thing is ugly whether you put the plate on or not! I certainly hope it can be removed if you don't put the plate on......... oh well.... maybe it will grow on you! It certainly looks like a growth on the front of the C6

UPDATE:

Since vette lovers keep voting and posting to my polls, I feel obligated to provide an occasional update for those of you who are interested.

969 "must not go into production" 98%
20 "like the design" 2%
19,923 views (includes this thread but not several other related threads)

ed.
1 "Corvette team that does not care what we think"

Votes are from 3 corvette forums.

I have an '82 Vette. It was the lowest selling corvette ever.

Apparently, they did not care what we thought then either!

I would just pay fines than put that crap on my car. Gross!!

Different front end and all, but for comparison here's what Ford did for the front license plate mount of the 2005 Mustang:
IMG_0269.jpg

Yup, a pair of dimples. No idea if the C6 design would allow something like this, but anything is better than that monstrosity.

Just when I thought that the dumbest thing I ever heard of was the optispark they bring out this. If they gave such little thought to this item what other land mines are awaiting new owners? I will stick with my 92.

That might suffice if there were one state out of fifty (say Rhode Island) that required front plates!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom