Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

GM - Here is what we think of the License Plate Mount

Here is what we think of the C6 LP mount:

• It is hideous and can not be allowed to be placed into production

Votes: 311 62.2%
  • I like it. It blends with the aerodynamic flow of the C6

Votes: 16 3.2%
  • Who at GM was drunk when he approved this thing?

Votes: 166 33.2%
  • I love Vipers and / or Mustangs so I hope this LP mount makes it into production

Votes: 7 1.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I still haven't seen anyone say that this is a joke. I can only assume that it is something someone photochopped and posted to raz us.

I'm going to wake up this morning and this bad dream will come to an end. I just hope I don't wake up in a puddle of my own :puke

:w

I wish it were just a chop, but this is pretty much what you will see in the plastic bag when you pick up your new C6. The single change is that Hill said they have changed the mount to affix to the bottom of that upper edge, not the front as shown. Holes will be on the horizontal upper grill opening, not on front. Otherwise, this is it;

Sat_12.jpg

(Save you money for the fines for not running a front plate)

I didn't waste my time reading every entry on this post, for good reason...

IT'S FOR A LICENSE PLATE!

Has any body seen it on a C6 that wasn't a close-up of the bumper?

"It's Ugly" "The Corvette is ruined" "Anybody remember the pontiac Aztec"

Boo Hoo. Give it a rest. It's removable, not a permanent fixture.

If you don't need a front plate who cares.
If you do, it will have a plate over it. Ruining aerodynamics? Please. I don't know of any future C6 owners that will be losing the 24 hours of LeMans or Daytona due to the MASS (and I mean HUGE, CATASTROPHIC, GIGANTIC) amounts of drag caused by there front license plate.

Move on with your lives. If it was in my garage, It would be the best looking license plate holder I'd ever seen.

Spiderman :w

Print out that picture (of the hideous plate bracket) then. Velcro your front plate to your dash but tape the picture to the underside of the plate first. If a cop pulls you over show him the plate the turn it over. I'll bet he'll let you go.

The hideousness of that front plate bracket will haunt my dreams forever.

Spiderman said:
I didn't waste my time reading every entry on this post, for good reason...

IT'S FOR A LICENSE PLATE!

Has any body seen it on a C6 that wasn't a close-up of the bumper?

"It's Ugly" "The Corvette is ruined" "Anybody remember the pontiac Aztec"

Boo Hoo. Give it a rest. It's removable, not a permanent fixture.

If you don't need a front plate who cares.
If you do, it will have a plate over it. Ruining aerodynamics? Please. I don't know of any future C6 owners that will be losing the 24 hours of LeMans or Daytona due to the MASS (and I mean HUGE, CATASTROPHIC, GIGANTIC) amounts of drag caused by there front license plate.

Move on with your lives. If it was in my garage, It would be the best looking license plate holder I'd ever seen.

Spiderman :w
You should read more ... about 85+% of the vettes sold are in front LP states & Countries. Most, if not all have stiff fines for multiple offenders who refuse to run the plate. Of course the mount will be covered by a plate - that location places the plate smack in the UPPER Middle of an otherwise great looking car. This defines ugly. I, for one, would gladly sacrifice an aerodynamic point to get rid of this horrible looking mount.

Also, you will note that the mount shown is screwed into the FRONT of the bumper, so yes it is permanent, or the holes are anyway. Thanks to all of our "Boo Hoo"ing Hill has changed this mount to avoid frontal holes. At least we accomplished that much. Hope you enjoy your front plate mount. 98% of us despise it.

LongTimer said:
You should read more ... about 85+% of the vettes sold are in front LP states & Countries. Most, if not all have stiff fines for multiple offenders who refuse to run the plate. Of course the mount will be covered by a plate - that location places the plate smack in the UPPER Middle of an otherwise great looking car. This defines ugly. I, for one, would gladly sacrifice an aerodynamic point to get rid of this horrible looking mount.

Also, you will note that the mount shown is screwed into the FRONT of the bumper, so yes it is permanent, or the holes are anyway. Thanks to all of our "Boo Hoo"ing Hill has changed this mount to avoid frontal holes. At least we accomplished that much. Hope you enjoy your front plate mount. 98% of us despise it.
I made no suggestion of not running a front plate if it happens to be required by law, in your state or residence. I would never do that. I believe they might have not wanted to block air flow to the radiator by mounting it lower.

Anyways, congrats on getting the redesigned mount. It's cool that this forum has that much influence with the designers.

Are there any photos of the front mount that are not close ups? Perhaps one that has the entire car in the view?
I would have like to have gotten that perspective on it.

:w:beer

Spiderman :_rock

You forgot one thing Spiderman. We are all voiceing our opinions that this is a very ugly design. 98% of the people dont like this. GM would be idiots if they proceed with this. If 98% of this small forum disagrees with it, just imagine what the rest of the US will say or are currently saying.

Not to pick nits guys, but as I have indicated in my earlier updates, I posted this exact poll on two other large forums and reported the COMBINED results in each forum. Individually the percentages were very consistent so the essence of what you're saying is correct, but the influence more wide spread. I felt I needed to do this to get as much visibility for this issue as possible. Unfortunately it only worked a little (mounting holes location, not mount location).

Another thing to add to the reason I don't like the C6.

vettepilot said:
In those immortal words... "What were they thinking?"

vettepilot
... more like what were they smoking?

Having had the "opportunity" to go one on two with the GM engineers on another site who supposedly designed this mount, I can objectively tell you that they really think they did great with it. Their Ivory Tower, non real world. total focus was on air flow to the engine and radiator. I am convinced that they were completely shocked that 98% of think it is hideous. They attempt to justify the mount's location and design saying both were required to attain the HP requirement. Maybe, maybe not.

It will be interesting to see what the aftermarket provides to supplant this floating GM brown stuff and whether or not the aftermarket solutions will have any detrimental affect on cooling or HP.

I guess the "All Corvettes Are Red" attitude still exists at GM. Maybe they need to talk with the XLR designers. They seem to have found a place for the front plate without adding any Tupperware. :eyerole

bossvette said:
no wonder "dad" bought a 2004 instead after waiting on the C-6;LOL I think I would go "Bubba" and baleing wire the license plate someplace else instead.
OH My God! My friend just bought a new 2004 at Kerbeck. He was struggling with going with a C6 or C5. But, the deal was great on the 2004 and now with this unbelievable abberration (imho) I am sure he is convinced he did the right thing. . I know the design staff at GM would find it hard to believe, but something like that plate holder can and will stop people from buying.. BTW, is the front tag mount an option? If so, I would think most would not order it even if they live in a state that requires a front tag..

My Moto......????

The 7 "P's"....

PROPER-PRIOR-PLANING-PREVENTS-PI_S-POOR -PERFORMANCE

Listen Up General.....

invinceablevett said:
Does this mean that up here in Quebec we will have faster Corvettes(C6) because we do not need a front tag?....more airflow=more horsepower.

That's it! It's a Canadian conspiracy! :L

Sat_12.jpg

This one????....................................................................................

BlueCoupe............"STOP posting that ugly front plate mount picture. Its is giving me nightmares. It makes the car look like an evil jack-o-lantern."

......................................... :D

STOP posting that ugly front plate mount picture. Its is giving me nightmares. It makes the car look like an evil jack-o-lantern.

In light of all of the complaints that have been voiced, GM engineers have come up with an alternative look...
c6plate.jpg

:D

[QUOTE='04 Torch Red]In light of all of the complaints that have been voiced, GM engineers have come up with an alternative look...
c6plate.jpg

:D[/QUOTE]
;LOL I think that one is more aerodynamic. I might be posting that all over the place.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom