Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

GM - Here is what we think of the License Plate Mount

Here is what we think of the C6 LP mount:

• It is hideous and can not be allowed to be placed into production

Votes: 311 62.2%
  • I like it. It blends with the aerodynamic flow of the C6

Votes: 16 3.2%
  • Who at GM was drunk when he approved this thing?

Votes: 166 33.2%
  • I love Vipers and / or Mustangs so I hope this LP mount makes it into production

Votes: 7 1.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well it IS a written law but it is up to each individual officer to dole out the ticket if they so choose...its a big money maker here in VA...but I think he gave it to me instead of a warning because I was driving in 75 degree weather with the top down on a beautiful day in my brand new '04 Torch Red vert..and it was just killing him:L

ps... I personally don't think the tag looks bad on the C5 front but I honestly had it in the trunk because I didn't have the correct bracket yet and I told him that and he didn't even want to hear my explaination...:L

========================================================
Z06 Tom said:
Well, it was worth a shot... I've never understood why a cop would write a ticket for something like that. I can see giving you a warning, but actually giving you a citation is chicken s--t! Must have been a Mustang guy. I think I might have had to congratulate him on doing his part for keeping society safe.:eyerole

BTW, you'll notice what the front of my Z looks like... ;)

342%3A768723232%7Ffp58%3Dot%3E2323%3D85%3A%3D434%3D323285%3A343%3B23nu0mrj

Give the counties a break!

They need money and they cannot raise taxes enough so they help narrow the gap by giving out tickets.

Most of the officer's really don't want to give them out but they have no choice, they are told what to do period.

So when you are pulled over just say yes sir and thank you.

You deserve a ticket and you know it so don't complain. It costs money to look good!

Alan

kingman said:
They need money and they cannot raise taxes enough so they help narrow the gap by giving out tickets.

Most of the officer's really don't want to give them out but they have no choice, they are told what to do period.

So when you are pulled over just say yes sir and thank you.

You deserve a ticket and you know it so don't complain. It costs money to look good!

Alan

People deserve a warning especially if they have a legitimate explaination...and the tickets for no front plate are given to some and not others..so the fair thing to do would be to give everyone a onetime warning, then if they do not comply...give them a ticket..geeze its not like a moving violation or murder...I even know several cops with no front tags on their Vettes as we speak:eyerole and no one says anything about it to them...

The day I brought my Vette in for service and discovered they had a new C6; the dealer in my small town told me that he wasn't going to install the front plate unless the new owner instists. He said that he wasn't going to drill into the bumper to install that ugly thing, and I agreed with him. :ugh

As Dr. Phil would say "What in the hell were you thinking?" or "How is that working for you?

EttevroC said:
The day I brought my Vette in for service and discovered they had a new C6; the dealer in my small town told me that he wasn't going to install the front plate unless the new owner instists. He said that he wasn't going to drill into the bumper to install that ugly thing, and I agreed with him. :ugh

The C6 front plate holder is held on with double-sided tape. You know you have a really good design when the parts are held on with tape.

Jeez.. what were they thinking? :eyerole Maybe GM will improve it for 2006 and plate will be held on with bailing wire.;LOL

Maybe some dealers are just using the tape, but my local dealer pointed out to me the dimples on the bumper where he would have to drill through. Maybe they have changed the mounting process since the first batches were produced?

EttevroC said:
Maybe some dealers are just using the tape, but my local dealer pointed out to me the dimples on the bumper where he would have to drill through. Maybe they have changed the mounting process since the first batches were produced?

Tape, screws or bubble-gum it is still one ugly design. They had it right on the C4 and C5. Why mess with perfection?

This is just pure "fugly". Thank God we don't need front plates in Michigan!

billagroom said:
The aftermarket guys will fix it don't worry. All anyone is going to see is the back plate anyway.

the aftermarket guys seem to fix everything - have you taken a look at the 725hp lingerfelter c6 - truly a work of art!!!

i don't own a c6 yet (planning on a 2007 z06), but here in ohio, i'll take my chances and run w/o the front plate rather than mount that abortion. gm designers - WTF! - oh yea, now i get it - tom peters, corvette chief designer and father of the ass-tek, had the final say on this -

It mounts just below the emblem and directly inline with the hood intake. Now, does it really require a wind tunnel to see what this is going to do to airflow up the front and into the intake? Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm? GM spends millions on aerodynamic design and then adds this tacky wart as an afterthought. It looks BAD on the regular C6. I have not seen one on a Z06. My hunch is that it will look much worse. BTW have you ever seen ANY official GM photograph that shows the front plate mount? Have you ever seen any photograph taken by the automotive press that includes the front mount? My answer is no to both questions. They don't want you to see how bad it looks until the paperwork is complete and the dealer begins to peel the backing off the cheap two sided tape used to mount the thing. I think it borders on deceptive advertising. I sure hope that they improve it for the '06.

I live in a front plate state...

and have never heard of anyone being ticketed for not displaying a front plate - and many people do not. I'll take my chances and leave the front plate holder off realizing I may pay a small fine from time to time.

I live in Chicago. Got a ticket for no front plate in 1995. Went to court with a pic showing my front plate installed. The judge could not understand why I was there. He was pretty p***ed that the ticket was wasting his time. The ticket was dismissed but I lost time from work (read: money). I still do not run a front plate. Someday some new officer will jump at the chance to make me an example. Chevy really dropped the ball on this one.
Save the Wave!

BW1 said:
Where does the front plate mount?
C6LPEComEd1.jpg

Under the passanger seat. :L

Quick Fix to Front Plate

Find a state like Michigan which only has back plate. Then rent PO box in that state ie , a state town. Register car in that state using PO box. PRESTO NOOOOO front plate!!!!!! PS I am moving to Michigan !!!!!

32 Caddy said:
Find a state like Michigan which only has back plate. Then rent PO box in that state ie , a state town. Register car in that state using PO box. PRESTO NOOOOO front plate!!!!!! PS I am moving to Michigan !!!!!
Sounds like a lot of hassle and money to avois the unlikely event of a small fine!

32 Caddy said:

Unfortunately, in The United State of Texas I believe your vehicle has to be registered in Texas within 30 days of residency. The 'Boys in Blue' will also cite you if you've moved and haven't changed the address on your drivers license within a month or two. :(
I have gotten a ticket for no front plate (not the vette) and couldn't talk my way out of it to save my life. Bought the car off a car lot and didn't even realize there was no front plate.:duh The citations have gone up and are just too expensive for my modest income so I try to keep a low profile.:lou :naughty:

Gordon

Jim Hester said:
Sounds like a lot of hassle and money to avois the unlikely event of a small fine!
Local Highway Patrol recently got a bug up their butt and I got a ticket for $70, no front plate...yet where I used to live last fall and drove by the local HP post there, never a problem.....I don't want the plate, but at $70 a hit and this HP guy has a bug up his butt for it....the plate is on....unless I get my son to register the car in Michigan where he lives.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom