Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Power Seat Repair/Replace

ddick9366

Corvette
'94 Polo Green Convertible
Driver's side power seat did not have full functionality, sounds like stripped gears on the front up-down adjustment. (i.e. motor runs, but seat does not adjust).

I see these power seat mechanism are available for about $200 plus the core, my question is are there any on line repair and replace instructions without having to invest in expensive repair manuals?

Does anyone have the removal, repair, replacement experience and willingness to share their know how via the forum?

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Power Seat Repair/Replacement

Thanks for reading and replying. I really appreciate the responsiveness of this forum. I signed up on another forum initially, but to no avail (i.e no reponsiveness), but first day entry resulted in numerous replies regarding numerous inquiries.

It looks like I've got to remove the seat and the frame and order and replace. Can hardly wait until weekend to spend "some time with my hobby."

It is a piece of cake.
1)Run the seat back, pop off the plastic trim over the front bolts. They are held in with plastic push pins. Push the center of the push pin all the way through and the pin will come out with on problem. find the center piece that you pushed through so that you can reuse it when you put the seat back in. Remove the 2 nuts holding the front of the seat frame.
2)Run the seat forward and remove the 2 nuts holding the rear of the seat frame.
3)Tilt the seat forward and disconnect the power cables.
4)Lift the seat out of the car.
5)Remove the adjustment mechanism from the seat frame (4 nuts).
Assembly is just the reverse order of removal.

I have never seen the gears and bushings for the seats available separately. It is like the window mechanisms; you have to buy the whole thing when you only need a $0.25 bushing.:mad

Thanks Spanishvetts. That's exactly the kind of counsel I was seeking, namely from someone who has completed the task and knows what is required and can give clear instructions on how to do it.

Thanks so much. Looking forward to making the replacement while it is still winter here and when spring comes, the Vette is ready to go.

Power Seat Repair/Replacement

Thanks 93*Corvette. I followed the links and eventually was denied access, so e-mailed the administrator to see "wat'sup?" I found 4 of 4 pdf files (I presume those were your techincal contributions?), but was unable to access them so we'll see what the administrator says about the situation.

Thanks 93*Corvette. I followed the links and eventually was denied access, so e-mailed the administrator to see "wat'sup?" I found 4 of 4 pdf files (I presume those were your techincal contributions?), but was unable to access them so we'll see what the administrator says about the situation.
I posted a new thread about this area of the forum. For some reason it is locked. If you want me to email the file to you just PM me your email address...

I suspect the access is blocked until Rob adds the pdfs to the Knowledgebase but I'm not sure why your ability to post a thread would be locked.

-Mac

I suspect the access is blocked until Rob adds the pdfs to the Knowledgebase but I'm not sure why your ability to post a thread would be locked.

-Mac
It's not that I can't post a thread (I can). I (and others) can't open the pdf file thats already posted. It says:
here's the link: http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=248

93*Corvette, you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:
  1. Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  2. If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Yup, that means the PDFs are in "moderation" status until Rob adds them to the Knowledgebase.

As an Admin, I have sufficient rights to read the PDFs (they look fine to me!) but only Rob, as the Site Administrator, has the power to add material to the Knowledgebase. There's been a number of time and labour intensive issues of late and I know Rob's been working steadily at them. I'm not sure if he's found the drain plug for the swamp yet but the alligators don't stand a chance!

-Mac

While I cannot add the article to the Knowledgebase, I did open the PDFs so they can be viewed. Enjoy!! CLICK!!

Thanks for those, Craig & Brian!

-Mac

While I cannot add the article to the Knowledgebase, I did open the PDFs so they can be viewed. Enjoy!! CLICK!!

Thanks for those, Craig & Brian!

-Mac
That works.... Thanks for getting it fixed.....

ddick9366 here ya go.....

My thanks to Rob (administrator) for making it possible for me to download, save, open, and print the 4 of 4 fpdf files uploaded by 93*Corvette I think Saturday is the day for me to tackel removing the drivers side seat now that I have both the hard copy instructions complete with photos from 93*Corvette and the written instructions from SpanishVettes. Thanks to all three men who have encouraged/enabled me to remove, replace, and re-install the driver's side power seat frame. I check back in when the project is completed.

I removed the drivers side seat today thanks to SpanishVette's straight forward instructions.

To my delight, I discovered that the plastic bushing overwhich a clear rubber tube connects in which the drive cable connecting the motor with the opposite side drive gears for the front up-down function had been broken and the square drive end of the cable was disengaged. Although, the plastic housing is sheared off and could not be removed from the rubber hose without absolute destruction, nevertheless, after a complete and thorough cleaning I was able to reinstall the drive cable sans the rubber tube connected to the plastic bushing and reinstalled the seat and all six adjustments work fine.

The only possible problems I see resulting from this partial fix, is the possibility of the lubricant seeping out of the plastic bushing where normally the rubber tubing would contain any seepage, dripping, or leaking, and of course, the drive cable itself disengaging and coming back out, because the rubber tubing actually serves to keep the drive cable in place.

But in lieu of spending $200 for a complete power train, I think I can reach under the seat and reinstall the cable, if and when it comes out again in the future. And now that I have the seat adjusted where I want it, I don't see myself adjusting the seat very often.

Regardless, next time, no fear, I'll remove that seat with one hand tied behind my back!

My thanks also to 93*Corvette for the four great pdf files with photos and everything. When I replace the old leathers with new leathers which I already purchased last year, I'll have the complete instructions for removing and replacing seats, frames, covers, the whole shebang.

And finally, thanks to Rob and Mac for the help they gave so I could download the pdf files. Had a great Saturday tinkering with the Vette because you all encouraged me to tackle this matter that without instructions, I would have been stymied.

Glad everything is working out so well! :upthumbs

-Mac

I removed the drivers side seat today thanks to SpanishVette's straight forward instructions.

To my delight, I discovered that the plastic bushing overwhich a clear rubber tube connects in which the drive cable connecting the motor with the opposite side drive gears for the front up-down function had been broken and the square drive end of the cable was disengaged. Although, the plastic housing is sheared off and could not be removed from the rubber hose without absolute destruction, nevertheless, after a complete and thorough cleaning I was able to reinstall the drive cable sans the rubber tube connected to the plastic bushing and reinstalled the seat and all six adjustments work fine.

The only possible problems I see resulting from this partial fix, is the possibility of the lubricant seeping out of the plastic bushing where normally the rubber tubing would contain any seepage, dripping, or leaking, and of course, the drive cable itself disengaging and coming back out, because the rubber tubing actually serves to keep the drive cable in place.

But in lieu of spending $200 for a complete power train, I think I can reach under the seat and reinstall the cable, if and when it comes out again in the future. And now that I have the seat adjusted where I want it, I don't see myself adjusting the seat very often.

Regardless, next time, no fear, I'll remove that seat with one hand tied behind my back!

My thanks also to 93*Corvette for the four great pdf files with photos and everything. When I replace the old leathers with new leathers which I already purchased last year, I'll have the complete instructions for removing and replacing seats, frames, covers, the whole shebang.

And finally, thanks to Rob and Mac for the help they gave so I could download the pdf files. Had a great Saturday tinkering with the Vette because you all encouraged me to tackle this matter that without instructions, I would have been stymied.

:D I love happy endings... well done!:upthumbs
:w

That's cool that it wasn't as bad as first thought. Cheap/easy fixes are a welcome relief, especially when you are expecting/anticipating a tough/expensive job.

Just a follow-up note.

Concerned about possible lubricant leaks and potential recurring disengagement, the following repair idea came to me. The photos show what the trouble was with the front up-down bushing on the drivers seat. The bushing was broken and the drive cable had disengaged. So I designed an adapter and took the drawing down to a local machine shop and asked the owner if they could make an adapter. One of his machinsts did so, even out of the same neoprene material, and I installed it today without removing the seat. It cost me a dozen Krispy Kreme dounuts. Now the cable is held in place by the adapter and the up-down switch adjusts the seat like it was never broken.

:)

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom