Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Tank Sticker Rescue

Corvette
1972 LT-1/Air coupe w/all options
About two years ago I was forced to replace my gas tank because of a leak (I really don't understand why they can't weld those! :eyerole) and I just finally got around to rescuing the tank sticker.

Unfortunately, there wasn't much to save, but I did get this:

tank1small.jpg

tank2small.jpg

At least I have more documentation (besides the window sticker, which is MUCH cleaner) to prove my car is an LT-1/Air car with the correct options, etc.

Does anyone know where I can get reproductions made that are as close to NCRS correct as possible? I'd like a readable set to display alongside these.

Thanks!

That's pretty cool. Documented high option LT-1 with a 2-page tank sticker. You can read it a lot better than my tank sticker.

Go to an art supply store. You can get acid free laminate to preserve what's left.

Tom

tank sticker/corvette order

Interesting... that looks pretty much like the Corvette Order that I found inside my 70 LT1 (copy posted under corvette order thread). I've never seen a "tank sticker", so I don't know how they're different.

Erik S. Klein said:
About two years ago I was forced to replace my gas tank because of a leak (I really don't understand why they can't weld those! :eyerole) and I just finally got around to rescuing the tank sticker.

Unfortunately, there wasn't much to save, but I did get this:

tank1small.jpg

tank2small.jpg

At least I have more documentation (besides the window sticker, which is MUCH cleaner) to prove my car is an LT-1/Air car with the correct options, etc.

Does anyone know where I can get reproductions made that are as close to NCRS correct as possible? I'd like a readable set to display alongside these.

Thanks!

lt1srule said:
Interesting... that looks pretty much like the Corvette Order that I found inside my 70 LT1 (copy posted under corvette order thread). I've never seen a "tank sticker", so I don't know how they're different.
Where in the car did you find it?

When they build these cars the gas tank goes on the frame pretty early. They glue the order sheet(s) to the tank so that everyone down the line knows what's supposed to go on the car.

Presumably there is a copy or two of the order that doesn't get pasted to the car. Maybe you have one of those?

There are also reproduction orders that can be purchased to spec. I just don't know where to do that yet. . . :)

E

I believe that the Corvette Order was delivered with the car in an envelope located in the rear compartment. The tank sticker was a Corvette Order Copy placed on the tank during assembly. Often other Order Copies can be found in various parts of the car.

Corvette Order

I found it inside the car... and it says "7. DEALER'S COPY" on the bottom of the order. I ordered the car in Dec 69, it was built on 2-4-70 and got to the dealer weeks before they could sell it to me (they were released 2-28-70, if I remember right). I didn't want them buffing thru the paint, so I asked if I could prep it for showroom display, and they said yes... so I got early access to everything the factory left inside the car. It was on showroom display a couple days before they got the prices from GM, then it was mine.

Actually in looking at some other copies of the "tank sticker" shown on this site... http://corvetteforum.net/c3/1970registry/JobNo.html ... it appears the copy I have includes more information... like the numbers for the carb, engine, rear axle, transmission, key... etc.

Erik S. Klein said:
Where in the car did you find it?

When they build these cars the gas tank goes on the frame pretty early. They glue the order sheet(s) to the tank so that everyone down the line knows what's supposed to go on the car.

Presumably there is a copy or two of the order that doesn't get pasted to the car. Maybe you have one of those?

There are also reproduction orders that can be purchased to spec. I just don't know where to do that yet. . . :)

E

I have heard that sometimes a copy of the build sheet gets placed in a frame member or rolled up and put inside the dash area.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom