Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

The car is packed 48 states await

Jack, I'm so glad that you made it home. I'm sure that your glad to be home too. Now is the time to take a little time to recoup and let things settle. We are looking forward to the stats.

I am home........safe and sound....... My last pictures taken today

Left Maine August 2 2010 7:30 AM

Arrived Home October 29 2010 11:30 AM

HomeatLast003.jpg

HomeatLast011.jpg

HomeatLast012.jpg

HomeatLast015.jpg

HomeatLast017.jpg

HomeatLast031.jpg

Thank you.......everyone from the bottom of my heart

Jack

PS

data on trip, tech stuff, repairs will be posted later

Now is home time...........

NO Jack!!! Thank YOU!!!:BOW

I did drive around the world

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLOCKMAN
Jack

My self and Roberta have been following you on your trip from day 1 and thanks for the emails and up dates, Glad your home safe and in one piece as well as your car
thumbsup.gif

Is your next trip going to be around the world?
lol.gif

When you get yourself together give us a call as we would enjoy hearing more about your trip.

Glad everything worked out for you and your Vette.

Carl Hinkson

Hi Carl ,

Look forward to dropping by next week or so, I will call, need some pictures of my world famous engine builder

Actually, I believe I did drive around the world. If I had left Maine heading west (my car can drive on water) and stayed on the same latitude
43° 33' 49" N

for the whole trip, I would have gotten back to Maine from the east. (I drove 19,500 + miles)

Would one of the civil engineers out there confirm it. I know the world is about 25,000 miles at the equator, and less as you go north in Latitude

Stats about fuel and oil, repairs to be posted in a few days.

Jack

Glad you are home safe - now get out there and rake all those leaves.;)

Back up quick; you are going to drive over the edg of the earth!

Actually, I believe I did drive around the world. If I had left Maine heading west (my car can drive on water) and stayed on the same latitude
43° 33' 49" N

for the whole trip, I would have gotten back to Maine from the east. (I drove 19,500 + miles)

Would one of the civil engineers out there confirm it. I know the world is about 25,000 miles at the equator, and less as you go north in Latitude

At your latitude the Earth is about 18000 miles in circumference. (circumference at the equator X cos of latitude)

As a veteran of many road trips, several of them documented here at CAC:), I must take my hat off to you.;worship

Your trip was epic and your narration was wonderful reading. Looking forward to your next adventure was like waiting for the next "Hardy Boys" to hit the shelves.

A central theme that rings true is the kindness of the people you meet during your journey.

Thank you again,

:w
Please save all of this thread offline. We have lost tons of valuable information over the years due to {server crashes}:mad

"We all have the same destination; it is the journey we chose that forms who we become"

Great to be home

I am shaking a little, I will be OK, just have not got into the car in the last 5 hours. I am sure I will be able to not wake up with the keys in my hand.

Working hard on the statistics of fuel, oil , repairs, Looks like I may be on budget thanks to some very generous folks out there

Be back before end of night

Jack

Fuel Report

Hi, here are some fuel usage figures for you to look at:

327/350 L79 engine .060 over 300,000 miles on original engine new rebuild for trip

Stock Holly 4 bl.

Original drive train 3.70 rear and M20 wide ratio Muncie

All continuous 48 states driven through

Start in Cape Elizabeth Maine and Finish in Cape Elizabeth ME

08/02/2010 to 10/29/2010

Total Miles driven 19,284

Total Gallons of Gas used 1,222

Miles per Gallon 15.7

Total Cost Gas $ 3,822

Average Price/Gal $ 3.11

Fuel Repairs Oil Filters Cost

Hi, here are some figures for you to look at:

327/350 L79 engine .060 over 300,000 miles on original engine new rebuild for trip

Stock Holly 4 bl.

Original drive train 3.70 rear and M20 wide ratio Muncie

All continuous 48 states driven through

Start in Cape Elizabeth Maine and Finish in Cape Elizabeth ME

08/02/2010 to 10/29/2010

Total Miles driven 19,284

Total Gallons of Gas used 1,222

Miles per Gallon 15.7

Total Cost Gas $ 3,822

Average Price/Gal $ 3.11

Oil / Grease / Filters / Plugs $304

Repairs on road $ 543

Repairs at home worn/trip $ 750

Total Cost Dollars for Gas/Oil/ Filters/Plugs/Repairs $ 5,419

OR $ .28 per mile for 19,284 miles

Notes****

Engine only used 12 qts. of oil for 19,284 or about 1,600 miles a qt.

Two sets of plugs , at 9,000 and 18,000 plugs did not have to be changed, looked that good

Rubber bushings on many suspension parts may need replacing. Over 25,000 miles total on replaced parts

Parts replaced: fuel pump, haft shaft U joint, Flange alternator bracket welded and battery replaced, windshield cracked , insurance covered

Hope this helps all

Jack

PLUS..........the doctor's bill and the chiropractor's bill to straighten out
all of the kinks, and locked up joints that you get after 19,000+ miles in
a C2 in less than 3 months. At MY age the cost of the ibuprofen would
have been more than the gas was! ;LOL;LOL;LOLGlad you made it
through in good shape, and THANKS for the updates during the
adventure. Made for some fine reading, and the pictures were a major plus!
Andy Anderson :w

PLUS..........the doctor's bill and the chiropractor's bill to straighten out
all of the kinks, and locked up joints that you get after 19,000+ miles in
a C2 in less than 3 months. At MY age the cost of the ibuprofen would
have been more than the gas was! ;LOL;LOL;LOLGlad you made it
through in good shape, and THANKS for the updates during the
adventure. Made for some fine reading, and the pictures were a major plus!
Andy Anderson :w
ibuprofen almost cause me problems, but your right, I felt like the " Tin Man " in Wizard of OZ before he got lubed.

Back at the gym now and I am starting to feel much better

Jack

Thanks Jack, for allowing us to travel along with you on this adventure. Glad your home safe and sound.:)

Drive around the world

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKguitar
Well, I'm not a Civil Engineer, but a little Trig will turn the trick here. The world is about 7,926 miles in diameter at the equator (about 25 miles less from pole to pole, but we'll ignore that for the moment). This means that the radius of the earth is that number divided by 2 = 3,963 miles. If you picture the world cut away on a longitude line through Maine, with a line drawn from the center of the Earth to Portland (call this line 1), it would be 3,963 miles long (assuming the earth is perfectly round, which we are). Another line drawn from the center of the earth to the equator would also be 3,963 miles long (call this line 2). Now, the hard part, imagine a line drawn from Portland vertically down to line 2 so that it makes a right angle with line 2 (call this line 3). We know the length of the hypotenuse (3,963 miles) and the angle that line 1 makes with line 2, call it 43.5 degrees, so we can get the length of the line segment from the center of the earth to the point where line 3 intersects line 2 by taking the cosine of 43.5 degrees times the length of the hypotenuse = 2,875 miles. If you draw this on a piece of paper, it is easy to see that this is the radius at 43.5 degrees latitude, but I'm sure it's tough to imagine in your mind (at least it's tough for me). So, diameter there is equal to 2 * Pi * r = 18,062 miles. So, it would have been shorter to drive around the world!

I had asked the question of Driving west from Maine and if I could drive on water, would I have driven back to Maine from the East. I thought so.

Thank you for concurring with me. This simple little explanation is all that the forum members needed.

No problem is too big or too small for our forum members to solve, Don't you agree ? Members.......

Jack

Solving problems is just one of the joys of belonging to a forum!

-Mac

Back to car fixing

Hi Guys in Mass or Maine or NH

Pat H. , if you are out there, My windshield got hit by a big stone on the trip. Hole plus 12" crack.

It needs to be replaced. Insurance will cover it.

Does anyone know of a good Glass Shop that handles insurance claims and can do a mid-year windshield replacement properly.

I will drive the car to Mass or other close by states.

Jack

It's an easy install, and the glass has been pretty easy to get. Any good glass shop should be able to do it. You can get a referral from your insurance company - that way they cover any eventuality resulting from the install.

It's not so much the shop as the technician that does the work .I'd call Fern's in Lisbon falls to see who they would use .They do a lot of restorations and vetts 353 2329

Thanks

It's not so much the shop as the technician that does the work .I'd call Fern's in Lisbon falls to see who they would use .They do a lot of restorations and vetts 353 2329

Hi, and thanks, I will give them a call this week

Jack

Power steering Valve fix

The trip had been rough on my power steering and in response to my request for instructions on taking it off the car, the following post:

PS Still waiting for an answer on which bolt or part of the PS do you take off first[/QUOTE]

Jack,

I don't know if the removal is the same as for a 65 but the shop manual states for the control valve removal:

1. Raise the front of the vehicle off the floor and place it on stands.
2. Remove the relay rod to control valve clamp bolt.
3. Disconnect the two pump to control valve hose connections and allow fluid to drain into a container, then disconnect the two remaining valve to power cylinder hoses.
4. Remove the retaining nut from the ball stud to pitman arm connection and disconnect the control valve from the pitman arm.
5. Turn the pitman arm to the right clear of the control valve and unscrew the control valve from the relay rod.
6. Remove the control valve from the vehicle.

Hope this helps. :thumbs:[/QUOTE]

Hi,

I did find my service manual with the above instructions.

Jacked up car, proceeded with step one to five. Five can be a problem because my stud ball was frozen in the pitman arm. I could not get it off the pitman arm. So , I took the valve apart while still on car. Once I got it apart, I could put valve off stud and unscrew it from the rod. I will press out stud tomorrow with the right tool.

Lots of wear on ball stud and retainers, grease fitting was broken off I think when it was installed. No grease for 5 years including this trip, Till Rodger and I fixed the grease fitting and put in too much grease, (Hitch warned us) I gave it the last squeeze , but Jerry looks guilty

Will order rebuild kit for valve and ball stud, along with new hoses.

Not hard to do it seems, even without a lift. Still wish I had one

Jack

powersteeringcontrolvalverepair002.jpg

powersteeringcontrolvalverepair006.jpg

Rodger , do you think he could have pulled the trigger?

carolinasolidaxelclubRaleighNCFred037.jpg

I had allotted $ 750 for repairs on car once I got home.

This should only cost about $135 for parts including shipping

I have started to make contacts on the cracked windshield, I will keep you posted on outcome.

Happy Thanksgiving

Friends , Romans and Country Men, no no no wait! ,,,,

that's a story for another time.

To the many wonderful men and women that I met in person or online during my Great Adventure

I want to say " Happy Thanksgiving to One and All "

sounds a little like a Christmas slogan, but ....... what the heck

Thank you again for making it all possible

Jack

PS

I overheard this conversation while shopping for dinner , thought I would share it with you , one turkey talking to another

" How did I get here you ask? online, that's what happened, I read that if you owned a corvette for a long time, you could get special treatment and a seat at the head of the table "

" How did you get here? "

" He said he would show me how to use my car" "to meet girls "

DouglasCountyFairAlexandriaMinn016.jpg

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom