Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

The Corvette Action Center Suffers a Loss

Here's one of Bud and Nanc relaxing at a restaurant several of us went to while at the Colorado Cruisefest.

Bud and Nanc sitting across from 'dre, Barrett and next to Jeff (blackdog)

Bud.jpgNanc, my wife and Bud, 2012 visit to Amarillo

Last edited:
Digging through all the archived stuff on my drive...no luck so far. I could've sworn I had a copy of that.

Same here... no can find. I see that we got some good pics !

Last edited:
Sorry to hear that Bud YODA has moved on, may his family and friends be comforted at his loss.

To Bud,
May there be wind be at your back whilst cruising on golden streets lined with billowing clouds...

67HeavenRear.jpg~original

Very sorry to hear of Bud's passing. He certainly devoted much of his time and talents to helping build Rob's dream, and will be sorely missed by a great many people. Evil, evil cancer.

I salute Bud for his great service to his country. He was one of a kind. RIP.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Meanwhile, having been away for quite some time, I'm puzzled at seeing my car in this thread. :confused

Meanwhile, having been away for quite some time, I'm puzzled at seeing my car in this thread. :confused
I was wondering about that too. I sent AV8R a private message enquiring but he hasn't replied.

Mac

So nice to hear from you Bob.

Bob,

I also thought that was odd. Nice to hear from you.

I too, wondered about that when I first saw it. But, I'm guessing that he is wishing Bud a quick trip to Heaven. But just guessing.

I too, wondered about that when I first saw it. But, I'm guessing that he is wishing Bud a quick trip to Heaven. But just guessing.

That would be my guess, too. Nice to see you out there Bob, sorry it is under these conditions though.

On the weekend, I received a note from Nancy....

Mac

Nancy said:
Hi, Mac:

I've attached a copy of Bud's obituary. It was published in the
York News-Times, York, NE, on March 24, 2015. I was not able to
cut and paste it from the online newspaper ... guess I forgot
how to do that. As you can see, May 22, 2015, at 2:00 p.m. is
the date and time for the graveside service. I'm planning on a
gathering after the service, but don't have those details worked
out yet. I will let you know when I do.

As far as I know, the Bud Roast at Roasters on Soncy is still on
for April 12th. Bud's pal, Buzz, has been out of town, but
think he is to be back today and will check with him this week.

I read the posts on the CAC and saw the video of "the guys doing
the Supremes". First good laugh I've had in awhile. Somewhere
I have a video of Bud and some other guys doing the Supremes at
one of Bud's class reunions. Some of the gals dressed them up
in satin ball gowns with wigs. I believe Bud was "pretty in
pink" wearing a blonde wig. This video was shown at his
retirement party in Palo Alto. I think his boss was about to
faint, but everyone else was cheering and clapping. Bud did
love to do "Stop in the Name of Love".

Donald R. “Bud” Dougherty, former resident of York, passed away at his home in Amarillo, TX, on March 14, 2015. He was born in Falls City, NE, on August 14, 1949, to Allison and Catherine Dougherty. He is survived by: his wife, Nancy; step-daughter, Heidi Ostwald, her husband, Brad, and granddaughters, Briella and Blair; his sister, Kati Schaldecker, her husband, Butch, niece Tiffany and nephew Scott; his brother, Buck Dougherty, his wife, Kathy, and nieces, Melissa and Brook; and his dog, Sophie. He was preceded in death by his parents and a nephew, David.

Bud worked for Nebraska Public Power District and finished his career in the public utility industry at the Cities of Alameda and Palo Alto, CA. Bud was a life long Corvette enthusiast , owning several Corvettes over the past decades. He met and became friends with many other Corvette enthusiasts.

Bud was a Vietnam veteran, serving in the U.S. Navy from 1967 to 1973.

Graveside inurnment will be held at Greenwood Cemetery, York, NE, on May 22, 2015, at 2:00 p.m. VFW Post 7102 will provide military honors. Please join us in remembrance of a life well lived.

Right now, Rosie and I are planning on heading south next weekend to the "Bud Roast". Have we heard about a time for that? I would also like to attend the memorial service in May, but that a much tougher one for me to get away to go to.

Right now, Rosie and I are planning on heading south next weekend to the "Bud Roast". Have we heard about a time for that? I would also like to attend the memorial service in May, but that a much tougher one for me to get away to go to.
I sent a note and Nancy. Here's the reply...

Mac
Nancy said:
Hi, Mac,

Yes. The roast is scheduled for1:00 pm. We were going to do
it at Bud's regular time of 10:30 am, but Roasters has a big
rush before and after church and it quiets down after 1:00 and
the baristas thought this time would be better.

Also just got off the phone with Chances R restaurant in York,
NE. We will have a gathering there after Bud's service on May22. Chances R has been in business, in one form or another,
since 1935, I believe. Bud and I have been there many times ...
exceptional food and a York landmark.

Nancy

That makes it easier to get there in time. Thanks, Mac.

Cool, We'll see you there, Bill

Yoda gave me my still-sticking nickname here on the CAC. I was 16 or 17 at the time, and he has always been the first person to jump in and help when I have a question. He also is the first person I think of when I think about the CAC. I miss you, Bud.

-Tatortot

Last edited:
A day late and a dollar short, yet with a heavy heart

I just found out about Bud's passing yesterday. And I feel like such a bad friend for not finding sooner, but a smile formed on my face about something that happened a few weeks back that helps explain that perhaps Bud tried to tell me.

I believe the last time I spoke with him was in early November, 2014. He was ribbing me pretty good for not stopping by in August, when I drove through Amarillo. Nevertheless, he sounded in very high spirits, and it seemed to me that perhaps he had made it through the other side of his recovery, and there were indicators to promise a positive recovery. After talking for nearly an hour, he ribbed me one last time for not stopping by. hahahaha. I apologized to him again. :ugh:L;)

Driving through Amarillo last August 2nd, he and Nancy were on my mind. I wondered if he was home...if he was in Phoenix, or perhaps back to Houston. I wished I could help Nancy with this burden, but I know she would not have it any other way. I even felt bad for his beloved Sophie. She followed him everywhere and anywhere, although I teased him many times that she would only when Nancy was not around. hahahaha. Dogs are wise about these things, and she surely worried for her daddy. I told him that I could step-in anytime and help with his transport (albeit, not in the Vette, for it would tear him up), but he never took me up on my offers. He would say Nancy and I got this, and smile. But on that Saturday, I worried that he endured so many trips back and forth to the hospital, that I thought perhaps he was not home that late afternoon Saturday, and chose instead to continue towards New Mexico.

I am thankful to have logged thousands of miles along Bud, on the highway and on the information superhighway. I first met him through The L81 Registry. His efforts to help other L81'ers was like a lighting of hope across the web on those days, for there was barely enough information about our venerable year model, and he helped me solve the first of hundreds of issues and questions I had. It was through him that I found CAC, and I was so impressed about his dedication to help others, and specially Corvette owners. A lifetime Corvette owner himself, he contributed and still has much information in these pages to shine our way through problems and solutions to them.

The bottom line of our passtime is the road, and the road he and I hit many times. In 2002, I did not get Gail ready for the road, and ran out of time, so I met him at Bowling Green, KY driving my commuter car. That was SharkFest, and I got to meet him finally in person, and met Blackdog, and Rob, and Andre, and so many Corvette enthusiasts that weekend, and at least I got to witness the baddest pool shindig he and Jeff (Blackdog) have done many times over. Andre became a Blender Colonel there, and the party atmosphere was so electrifying, that it provided juice to the blenders. WOW!!!!! awesome time. There had to be between 50 and 90 folks there partying, not including the kids. I went to bed early (midnight) because I got word that my son was coming home for a break from Iraq, so I took off next morning (Sunday). Definitely, one of my most cherished memories of Bud.

We were together when I broke down in Nebraska. We had just left the motel, and at the gas station,and I could not get the Vette to shut-off. Without hesitation, he went into action, and told me to head to the town's NAPA Autoparts store and try to see if they had an ignition switch for the Vette. He went on a different direction, and contacted his friend to see if we could use his garage to fix my ride. He got back in time to me when I was ready to leave the NAPA store, and had me follow him to his friend's house. There, we replaced the ignition's switch which later earned me the 2004 Road Warrior Award. I could not have done it without him. :beer

Many memories out poured tonight blurring my vision. 2007 Cruise Fest. 2010 Cruise Fest. And in the center of them, it was Bud having a good time as no one else could, giving a helping hand, planning, funding, and carrying out many events all for the good of the Corvette community. And I may have found out late about his passing, but I am thick in many ways, and so clues often pass me by. But a few weeks ago, I was sitting in my family room watching TV (alone). When suddenly, I felt as if someone was running their fingers over my hair. It freaked me out!!! Five minutes later, it happened again. I was thinking that I was going crazy, or that perhaps a centipede had fallen on my head, but I could not find anything in my hair. Yesterday, however, it all became clear for me, and I smiled, for now I know that it was Bud stopping by and saying good bye.

God Speed my friend. Please pass our love to Jeff Alexander, Jane Ann, and all of our Corvette friends whom we have missed over the years. I love you brotha!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom