Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Corvette Action Center Loses a Valued Member

I found a great story on Ken's site-

Ken said:
As a matter of fact, I got myself kicked out of Harbor Chevrolet's parking lot because of all that horsepower. I knew as I was going there that I would do a burnout or two for the guys - gotta show off, right?

Anyhow, I laid down about twenty feet of black stripes, and then I parked it and opened the hood while we stood around talking about it.

Next thing I knew I see the service manager heading our way...

"Who just did that?"

Me: "C'mon now, you know I did it."

Him: "Leave the lot." Turns and starts walking away.

Me: "Are you serious? No harm done."

Him: "You have to leave the lot, now." Starts walking away again.

Me: "Okay. What's your name?"

Him: "John So-and-so, service manager of Harbor Chevrolet."

Me: "Okay John. Have a nice day."

Someone was on a power trip this morning, and mustn't have liked my Corvette's power intimidating his. So I laid down a couple of more sets (twice) as I pulled out of the lot.

Seriously though, he had to have been on some kind of power trip. We don't do that often in that lot, and anybody else would have come up and said something to the effect that we shouldn't do that on the lot due to insurance reasons (or something), and warn us that if we did it again we would be forced to leave. What's wrong with that approach?

Boys will be boys when it comes to their toys.

I think it covers how he lived life-

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention to arrive safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow!! What a ride!"

Ken's story illustrates this nicely.

This is going to be difficult to write as this is my first post, but I felt I had to say a few words about Ken Stapel even though I only knew him for a short while, so I hope you all forgive me.

Ken was a great guy to know and a real car guy. I first met him a few years ago at Ruby's in Redondo Beach. He was always there every Friday night during the summer cruise-in that he was like a usual fixture there. He had this great passion for all muscle cars, hot rods and of course, Corvettes. He knew a lot of automotive history, cold point out every year make and model, like a walking automotive encyclopedia. I've never heard him put down another car, nor any person for that matter, that's what made him such a great guy...very friendly, open and honest.

His silver '87 was a beauty too, lots of mods, 417 ci, and sounded very loud and mean. I'm going to miss seeing him drive that car and hearing him blast down the street. My stock '03 Z06 doesn't compare to his beast, but he did get a few kicks in mine tearing it up and down Van Ness in Torrance, that was last year (2006) when I just got the car, my very first Corvette.

Ken had fought long and hard during his illness, toughed it out and stayed optimistic about getting his liver transplant. We only wish this would have come through for him. I can't say enough about Ken, but only that I wish I could have gotten to know him longer...We will miss you Ken.

Warren.

I was also sad to hear about Ken's passing; may he rest in peace. . . . . .

A nice piece Rob; well said. . . . . . . .

Bill

Sad indeed, I only knew Ken from this forum. I enjoyed the chat forums on sunday nights several years ago.

Rest in Corvette heaven my friend.

Warren,

It sounds like you had some good times with Ken. He will be missed.

Welcome to the Corvette Action Center.

Tom

I never had the chance to meet him but may he R.I.P.
Our best wishes to this family.

I never got the chance to meet Ken but I did read many of his posts. I think a fitting tribute to this incredible car guy would be for all of us that haven't already done so, to become organ donors. It is too late for Ken but we can maybe help others. There are too many people on waiting lists for vital organs and when we are done using them we should pass them on. RIP, Ken and maybe this way you will help others, as it sounds that you always done. I am already signed up as a donor, so how about the rest of you?

Ken Stapel's Memorial Service and Car Gathering at Ricky & Ronnie's

Here is the information I received today:

Thanks to all of you who have been keeping Ken’s family and friends in your thoughts and prayers.
Bill and Sandy (Ken’s brother and sister) have decided to have memorial services for Ken on Saturday March 31<SUP>st</SUP> in the afternoon. The church services will begin at Martyrs <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com
><st1:PlaceName w:st=
American</st1:placeName> <st1:placeName w:st=" /><st1:placeType w:st="on">Church</st1:placeType> in <st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Manhattan Beach</st1:place></st1:City> in the afternoon around 2 o’clock. The address to the church is:

American <st1:placeName w:st="on">Martyrs</st1:placeName> <st1:placeType w:st="on">Church</st1:placeType><?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comhttp://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/forums/ /><o:p></o:p>[/FONT][/COLOR][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
<st1:place w:st=<st1:placeName w:st=" /><o:p></o:p>

<st1:Street w:st="on"><st1:address style="BACKGROUND-POSITION: left bottom; BACKGROUND-IMAGE: url(res://ietag.dll/#34/#1001); BACKGROUND-REPEAT: repeat-x" tabIndex=0 w:st="on">624 15th Street</st1:address></st1:Street>
<st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Manhattan Beach</st1:place></st1:City>, CA90266
(310) 545-5651<o:p></o:p>

After the church service, we will all go down to Ricky & Ronnie’s (around 5 o’clock) to have a memorial car gathering for everyone. We will all have a chance to pay our respects to Ken’s family and share our numerous stories about Ken at both venues (church and Ricky & Ronnie’s).<o:p></o:p>
The one thing that Bill, Sandy and Alex (Ken’s nephew) wanted to make sure that we shared with all of you was their deepest thanks for your spiritual support during these challenging times. They also want to make sure that we do not come to this event heavy hearted and that we come to celebrate Ken’s life and how he touched all of us over the years. Ken was a true car guy, evangelist of the lifestyle & passion and lover of all cars.

There was also some questions about sending flowers or cards. Ken's brother Bill has suggested that, in lieu of flowers, consider a donation to the charity of the Paramedics who came so often to help Ken in his last months. Bill said these people were just awesome in taking care of Ken. I will post the details shortly so you can consider that as an option.

From Ken's family, thank you for caring!

Thank you for posting this. Please let us know when his family releases details on making donations to the Paramedics.

Thanks Hal. Wish I could be there.

I'm sooooo sorry. I've been busy with moving to Utah (haven't changed forum info yet either) from SoCal, fixing up the house, new job, sold my 82ce, blah blah blah, etc.... No excuse, but this came as a shock to me. Great guy.

Yes, please let us know about who to make a donation to, since I can't be there in person. If I could, I'd be there in the C5 since I sold my 82ce a week before Christmas. Blessings to his family and friends. I think Ken is in a better place and is watching over all us car freaks, waiting for us to get to heaven to see him again.

Godspeed Ken, you made an impression in my life and many others. Thank you!

There was also some questions about sending flowers or cards. Ken's brother Bill has suggested that, in lieu of flowers, consider a donation to the charity of the Paramedics who came so often to help Ken in his last months

Please do keep us posted on when and how we can send a donation in Ken's honor, our prayers and thoughts are with his family.

God Bless And Keep You All; Ken is in a place we can't even begin to imagine.

Bill :w For Ken

Charitable Donations for Ken Stapel

Thanks to all of you for your continued comments about Ken. Ken's brother Bill has been on the site and is very touched by all the caring from the Corvette community.

There have been a number of inquiries about where to send flowers and cards to Ken's family. Ken's brother and sister have suggested for those who chose to do so, they ask that you make a charitable donation to Ken's memory. Here is the message from Bill Stapel:
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________

Hi Hal ….Per our discussion today lets ask all of the Corvette people and other friends of Ken who have expressed an interest to send their charitable contributions to the HERMOSA BEACH FIREFIGHTER’S ASSOCIATION (HBFA). The paramedics here at the local firehouse responded with help for Ken on numerous occasions over the last 8 or 9 months and he often talked of doing something for them to note his gratitude. I spoke with Paul Hawkins at the station on Monday and he assured me that all contributions are dedicated to people in need within their organization and without. A tax payer id is available if needed.

ADDRESS
<?xml:namespace prefix = st1 /><st1:place w:st="on"><st1:placeName w:st="on">HERMOSA</st1:placeName> <st1:placeType w:st="on">BEACH</st1:placeType></st1:place> FIREFIGHTER’S ASSOCIATION
<FONT]<FONT color="#0000ff"><st1:place w:st="on">PO </st1:place>BOX 638
<st1:place w:st="][SIZE=2"><st1:place][COLOR=#0000ff><st1:City w:st="on">HERMOSA BEACH</st1:City> <st1:State w:st="on">CALIFORNIA</st1:State> <st1:postalCode w:st="on">90254</st1:postalCode><?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com[IMG]http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/forums/ /><o:p></o:p><font color=" /><o:p></o:p>
<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff><FONT face=Arial size=2>310-379-0885

<FONT face=Arial><FONT color=#0000ff><FONT face=Arial><FONT size=2>I hope this helps.
<FONT color=#0000ff><FONT face=Arial><FONT size=2>__________________________________________________________________________________________

<FONT color=#0000ff><FONT face=Arial><FONT size=2>To keep all the data in one place, the following is the information about the memorial service and gathering for Ken:

<FONT color=black><FONT face=Arial><FONT size=2><FONT color=#0000ff>Bill and Sandy (Ken’s brother and sister) have decided to have memorial services for Ken on Saturday March 31<SUP>st</SUP> in the afternoon. The church services will begin at <st1:placeName w:st="on">American</st1:placeName> <st1:placeName w:st="on">Martyrs</st1:placeName> <st1:placeType w:st="on">Church</st1:placeType> in <st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Manhattan Beach</st1:place></st1:City> in the afternoon around 2 o’clock. The address to the church is:

<FONT color=black><FONT face=Arial><FONT size=2><FONT color=#0000ff><o:p>American Martyrs Church</o:p>
<FONT color=black><FONT face=Arial><FONT size=2><FONT color=#0000ff><o:p>624 15th Str<FONT face=Arial><FONT color=black><FONT face=Arial><FONT size=2><FONT color=#0000ff>eet</o:p>
<FONT face=Arial><FONT color=black><FONT face=Arial><FONT size=2><FONT color=#0000ff><o:p>Manhattan Beach, CA 90266</o:p><FONT face=Arial>
<FONT face=Arial><FONT color=black><FONT face=Arial><FONT size=2><FONT color=#0000ff><o:p>(310) 545-5651</o:p>​

<FONT color=black><FONT face=Arial><FONT size=2><FONT color=#0000ff><o:p></o:p>​
<FONT color=black><FONT face=Arial><FONT size=2><FONT color=#0000ff>After the church service, we will all go down to Ricky & Ronnie’s (around 5 o’clock) to have a memorial car gathering for everyone, where thanks to <st1:personName w:st="on">Chef Robert Polk</st1:personName>, food will be served. We will all have a chance to pay our respects to Ken’s family and share our numerous stories about Ken at both venues (church and Ricky & Ronnie’s).
<FONT color=black><FONT face=Arial><FONT size=2><FONT color=#0000ff><o:p>______________________________________________________________________________________________</o:p>

<FONT color=black><FONT face=Arial><FONT size=2><FONT color=#0000ff><o:p></o:p>​
<FONT color=black><o:p><FONT face=Arial><FONT size=2><FONT color=#0000ff>Lastly, Ken's nephew is going to try and get into Ken's web site (<FONT face=Arial><FONT size=2><FONT color=#0000ff>www.corvetteobsession.com<FONT face=Arial><FONT size=2><FONT color=#0000ff>) and change the "home" page to dedicate the site to Ken. We are then looking for ways to keep the site "alive" for some time.</o:p>
<FONT color=black><FONT face=Arial><FONT size=2><FONT color=#0000ff>
<FONT color=black><o:p><FONT face=Arial><FONT size=2><FONT color=#0000ff>That's all the news for now. If you have questions, feel free to email me directly at <FONT face=Arial><FONT size=2><FONT color=#0000ff>hal@vatcher.com<FONT face=Arial><FONT size=2><FONT color=#0000ff>.</o:p>​

<FONT face=Arial><FONT size=2><FONT color=#0000ff><o:p></o:p>​
<FONT size=2><FONT color=#0000ff><FONT face=Arial><FONT size=2><FONT color=#0000ff><o:p>"Save the Wave"!</o:p></st1:place][COLOR=#0000ff></st1:place>

[/COLOR]

Thanks very much for posting this information, it is appreicated. . . . . . and may Ken rest now in peace

Bill B.

Hal,

Thanks for putting the info up. It was good seeing you again, even in these circumstances.

It's incredible how much the Corvette world meant to Ken. He was the true representation of the term "gearhead". While helping to clean out his garage today, I was amazed at the level of organization in everything in there--from his toolbox to his workbench, everything had it's place. He had things dealing with cars and bikes of all kinds, posters, signs, pictures, you name it... ...if it had wheels, he had an interest in it.

I keep thinking how much I'm gonna miss him--he always seemed to be there, saving a spot for me. Whenever we would go out to Ruby's, his smiling face was almost always there to greet me. I guess it's really going to leave a void when summer rolls around and he's not there. At least his brother, Bill, sounds like he'd like to come on out with Ken's car and keep his memory alive...

6591Ken-med.JPG

With the upcoming Corvette Museum expansion, I wonder if a donation of his library should be seriously considered.

With the upcoming Corvette Museum expansion, I wonder if a donation of his library should be seriously considered.

It sure would be a nice tribute to Ken; and I think he would be honored.

Bill B.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom