Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Corvette Action Center Loses a Valued Member

This is truly a sad day. I still have fond memories tearing up the hiway with Ken and Andre at BG in '02 and Blackdogs' pool party. That said I am at a loss for words.
Mike

Sorry to hear about Ken's passing. I heard he's leading a caravan of Vettes to high heaven and racing some ricers on the way. ;)

Had hoped to never get that e-mail. Rest well my friend....you deserve it.

Ride on....Peace be the journey.:w

I was just thinking about Ken the other day--wondering how he was doing and put off asking about him on this forum because I didn't ever see him on here after he wasn't an administrator anymore.
My only connection to Ken was thru the CAC. He was funny and knowledgeable. What a thunk in the head and heart it is to log on here and find out he's gone.
He's at peace and free now.
Ken, Godspeed.

I haven't been following CAC as much as I used to. CAC was one of the first maybe the first Corvette Related Forum I joined... I remember reading Ken's webpage and his posts a while back. Though I never met him, I would have liked too, he seemed like a down to earth person and a true gear head...

Ken you'll be in our prayers! R.I.P. Brother...
-=Rick

Well, I didn't know him, or even know of him, heck, I'm just a newbe, but I want to say Rest In Peace as well !

-Garry

Sad news,

I had the good fortune to meet Ken when I visted LA and had a spin round in his Vette. A great guy, even after about 2 years when on another visit I just turned up at Ruby's by chance only to find Ken in his usual spot beside his Vette he instantly saw me, said hello and flashed that big grin of his at me like it was just last week.

J.

ken you will be missed rip
we were glad to know you
jeff and sandy

I know I don't post here often.

I met Ken at a meet at Ricky and Ronnies a couple of years ago. Both him and his car left one helluva impression.

May he rest in peace.

It is said that some of the brightest stars furiously burn gloriously-short lives escaping the fate of a long existence obscured by the shine of others.

I learned of Ken Stapel back in Shark-Fest 2002, never having the chance for an introduction, but irregardless, he availed himself to others who had a technical question on some issue, or he expressed how he felt about some Corvette modification or unpopular subject. I know that he had a measure of devotion towards his C4, and when I first saw it, albeit in the midst of performance problems, I could tell that it was a special car.​

It has always puzzled me how much higher his posts-count was in CAC, and when compared to some of the other early CAC members, it made me wonder -how did he do it? He had to speak his mind just about any subject discussed here, and so like so many of you, there lies my connection with him.​

I felt the denial when hearing of his passing, but I also felt at peace thanks to my initiative at the end of last November to write to him and introduce myself in an "official" way.​

Here is to one of our CAC members who illuminated us with his furious shine.:m

Scott,

Thanks for posting this on the forum. I too have been away from the forum for quite some time. When I received the email from Brad, I was deeply saddend. I met Ken, you and Brad in 2004 after getting my car and meeting up with you guys at Ruby's in Redondo. Ken took me "the newbie" in and made me feel welcomed and part of the "Corvette Family". He even saved me a spot next to his car. I always enjoyed talking with Ken and learning from him. After I had that fender bender with that Jaguar, Ken offered to drive me home after dropping off my car for repair. Ken went 40miles round trip out of his way to help me. His dedication to help others was always there and will definitely be missed. When I visited him on Thanksgiving day, he was pretty down, but I think the visits and phone calls from all of us kept him going until yesterday. Please rest in peace Ken. We will truly miss you.

Craig

Attached are some pictures/memories from those times.

Ken sounds like he has lived a wonderful life and made an impression to many many good people.

I'm sorry to hear he has passed on.

I've been away from the forum for quite some time. It was with deep sadness that I returned upon the receipt of the notice of Kens passing.

I have also been away (too long). I could not have said it better then the member above.
My only addition is that I did s/w and deal with Ken briefly here on the forum. From reading the posts from other members, I only wish I knew him better.
Rest in peace.

Ed

Ken's passing

Sad to hear long time 'Vette lover gone. May he rest in peace until we meet again!
Mike
'94 ZR-1

OMG, this one hurts.

Ken, buddy, we were due for another burger, dammit!

Ken and I only met twice, but we were instant brothers. He got me and my fast antique all the way to Redondo, even with some needed last minute vectors. Such was Ken, as mentioned here with some truly touching comments about how he would give you the shirt off his back and more, if you needed it. We shared some triumphs and trials; a bit of disgust when the fast-Vette issues seemed to be never ending, but he boosted me up enough to finish my car and to bring the biggest Corvette smile to my face in decades. Ken, you'll be ever with me when I drive my oldie, even knowing that you had a few cubes on me and probably more oomph, :pat

I (mostly) left the forum after the admin thing, but I always felt Ken knew what worked and what didn't and was not afraid to tell it like he saw it. We saw a lot of it the same.

I know Ken's in a better place and going with his hair afire, as it should be.

Rest easy, buddy.

Mike :w

Missing Ken

I also met Ken here many years ago.

Our friendship grew over time. We met in person at Sharkfest 2002 in BG and had an awesome weekend. I still remember doing 140 mph in his 87 Z51 down a back road thinking my life was going to end any second!

His car and his love for Vettes and helping others formed a concrete bond between us. He trailered it down to my house in Florida and we spent a couple of days together working some bugs out and putting it on the dyno. then going to the dragstrip. Some great memories there.

You see, the thing about Ken, was his incredible ability to think about things, and put things in perspective. He helped me through some really tough times.

Ken was there for me when I had personal success doing car stuff, he was there for me when I lost my dad, had my first child, and as I have made many life changes he supported me. He never passed judgment on my decisions. He just listened. He may have been 5,000 miles away, but we could pick up the phone and it was like we were side by side.

I knew he was sick...really sick, so I cherished our opportunities to speak. Ken started walking on faith. He found strength in God and his passion to find a purpose in life enriched me and gave me more momentum.

I can say for a fact, that Ken was at peace. He was frustrated with his condition, but he placed it in God's hands and tried to make the most of his last days. He was still looking for ways to help others and reach out to those in pain...Like I said...What a guy!

I miss you brother!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom